Random questions

you don’t need to wonder. when people have ignore lists, they often like to attention whore post about said ignore list.

1 Like

Who said that?!?!?!?!? HAHAHAHA NEVER.GETS.OLD.

The earth has been spinning around the sun for quite some time. I think about the whirlpool effect and there should be no rocks in space left after millions of years of toilet flushing threatening us anymore, yet the rocks still appear.

So, is the sun spitting more our way. Can we see solar flares from the face of the sun coming directly at us? The news shows us solar flares from the top of the sun and that affects us (I noticed it today cause my internet was down, it is a monsoon in PHX, AZ and I figured out that women on dating sites are just looking for validation and not a date).

1 Like

I recall someone saying something similar on the AO.

Can someone explain why everyone hates Jeff Bezos?

Is it because he has a low tax bill? Because that would sort of make sense.

But it seems to me like the hatred is because he went into space. Why is that bad?

I haven’t followed the story that closely but from the pieces I have seen, I’m very confused so there’s probably some key piece of the puzzle I’m missing.

I don't get the Jeff Bezos hate?

1 Like

Ah, thanks!

More sugar than tea.

The traditional bubble tea (as in, what’s most popular in Taiwan), is milk tea. There’s certainly a hint of tea, but I say it’s quite different, especially with the amount of sugar added.

The Americanized bubble tea seems to be all kinds of weird fruit teas.

They’d all taste like tea…or not like tea, depending on the amount of milk and sugar that go into it.
A tea that doesn’t taste like the traditional tea flavor would probably be pu-erh, but you’d have to go to an authentic bubble tea place to even have that option.

My FIL was backing out of the garage and scraped a wall and his bumper fell off. Is he better of paying out of pocket (~2k) for repairs or going through insurance? He also wants to know if they raise his rates can he switch to a different provider who would then offer him lower rates?

I’m just a dumb SOA actuary and don’t know anything about P&C, plus I’m a good driver and haven’t had to deal with car insurance claims before :slight_smile:

Wasn’t there a thread for actuaries in the news or in media? I can’t seem to find it.

He would probably be stuck paying the higher premium for a portion of the time, but can probably weasel out of some of it with a carefully timed switching of insurers.

I did this a while ago when I had a speeding ticket. I think it was roughly as follows:

Ticket = high premium for two years
Policy renews each June
Insurer checks for tickets each April for upcoming policy renewal.

April Year 1 - insurer pulls my [clean] driving record

May Year 1 - speeding ticket

June Year 1 - policy renews at low premium because the 2-month-old driving record they pulled has no ticket on it

April Year 2 - insurer pulls driving record & sees ticket

June Year 2 - policy renews at higher premium due to ticket

April Year 3 - insurer pulls driving record… nothing new since the last time they pulled it.

May Year 3 - I call insurer asking them to reduce my premium (both for the remainder of the policy year and the upcoming renewal) since it’s now been two years since my speeding ticket. They refuse and say I still have 13 months to go of paying high premium since I’ve only been paying the high premium for 11 months. I call another insurer. Since I haven’t had any tix in the last two years I get a great rate. Switch insurers.

So I was supposed to pay high premium for 24 months and only actually paid it for 11 months.

1 Like

Note that I really lucked out in that my ticket was optimally timed to allow me the minimum amount of time stuck at the high premium.

If I’d gotten a ticket in March instead of May my trick would have only knocked 2 months off of the time I was stuck paying high premium instead of 13.

That was just pure dumb luck.

Definitely interesting about the ticket. Will have to keep that one in my back pocket if ever I need it.

With the advent of better tech, insurers may check more frequently now and/or have a shorter timeframe from when they check until the policy renews. But I think this would shrink, not eliminate, the number of months you can weasel out of higher premium.

My thing happened in the late 1990’s.

And actually now that I think about it, I think there was a third factor at play: the lag from the date of the ticket until it was reported in rhe database that the insurer pulled from.

But my timeline is roughly accurate regardless.

Great question! I wonder where that thread is…

1 Like

Why is it people think dinosaurs aren’t as cool if they had feathers?

I bet if they had feathers in the original Jurassic Park they’d still be just as scary, it’s just tough to not imagine an ostrich

What do youngsters carry in their backpacks when roaming around town?

Just saw a bunch of kids on bikes outside the italian ice place. They all had backpacks. What do they need to schlep around?

I see this all over the place–youngsters with backpacks. Ages from like 10 or 11 up to young grownups.