Property Tax disparity

There are not many communities with religious Jews. Most of those areas are high cost of living places. New York housing is even worse than New Jersey.

I am okay with the taxes… just wish the headache of bussing was taken care of.

Yeah, you have EWR, PHL, LGA, and JFK all within a 2 hour drive!!! :+1: :flight_departure: :flight_arrival:

1 Like

But traveling is for suckers.

Less than 2 hrs to:

Skiing
Philly
NYC
Newark
AC
Cape May
Ocean
Hunting
Fishing (salt water & fresh)
Surfing (board, wind, kite)
Other water sports
Great Adventure theme park
Long Island wine country (ok 2.5 hrs…)

IFYP :stuck_out_tongue:

2 Likes

There is a reason it’s free to get into NJ but you have to pay to get out.

6 Likes

That’s nuts. My house is worth 1 to 1.5 and we pay sub 4k.
Everyone: yeah but…

1 Like

1 TO 1.5 million?

First, that is a big range.

Second that is a ridonculous house to own for an actudonk.

So local schools are not funded through property taxes?

Crap still has to get paid for. Our property taxes fund a variety of things. Almost 3/4th of my property taxes fund schools. This is what my tax bill looks like Per 100k of Home Value

Taxing District Tax Per 100k
Water Reclamation Dist 89.36
Community College 96.69
High Schools 658.85
Grade School Dist 845.14
Municipal Govt 118.91
Roads & Bridges 7.33
General Assistance 3.55
Township 23.17
Library 75.41
Park Dist 143.02
County Govt 64.3
Public Safety 31.2
County Health Facilities 11.58
Forest Preserves 13.71
Mosquito Abatement 2.37
Total Taxes Per 100k 2184.59

Is it…I thought actuaries are supposed to be RETCH

But anyway, the seasoned actuaries I know all live in >1mil houses. I don’t even know if there are <1m houses worth living in in my area. And paying more than 1000 a month in property taxes is obscene imo even at those prices. That’s why when I saw 2k-3k/month for other states I was like eff out of here.

What with housing markets now, he may have bought it two years ago for $200k, lol. It’s also probably CAD, fwiw, brings it down a tad.

2 Likes

My economic hypothesis is that your net take home pay adjusts to make you barely want to live in the place you’re living, wherever it is. So you might as well just use a random number generator to decide where to live.

I take subsidies. Bitcoin works too.

That’s a 2000 square foot house in SW Ontario. I live in a nice house but nothing more than what anyone else here does.

I bought in 97 for 175.
Bought another house for about 475 about 6/7 years ago. Sold it in less than three for 810.
My daughter bought a house last year for 515. One just sold a few doors down for 700.
Housing here is insane.

It’s a big range, but I suspect that’s CAD, so $790,000 - $1,185,000 USD.

I’m probably middle of that range. A house just sold for 1.2. I figure our house would fetch a bit more.

I live in the greater Boston area and my house was $290K. I can’t imagine wasting $1M+ on a house.

1 Like

OK, you are in Canadia. I didn’t know that. I don’t know what the heck you guys have going on there. Why not just raise money by taxing maple syrup and hockey pucks?

1M to 1.5M is $500 to $750 per square foot, a number that I think is ludicris. I just paid $200 per square foot and I thought I was paying through the nose.

Well living in a nice house is my #1 priority, so I guess we value different things. Like I feel physically ill being in an old house, which I imagine is what 290k would get you (people tell me Boston is expensive but I never lived there).

My last house was over 1 mil and sold for almost 2 mil 2 years later, though not by choice (ex and I broke up).

You can’t buy a run down semi-detached in the rough area of town here for 400k.