Property Lines

From what I’ve heard from other neighbors we have a similar rule here, but it’s 6 inches (assuming minimum rather than exactly).

Where I live, people who want privacy plant hedges. It’s very unusual to see a fence high enough to provide privacy, but quite common to see places that have inpenatrable hedges.

1 Like

The googles tell me that property lines are generally a county thing and should be at your recorder or assessor’s office.

I’m not a 100% sure but if you have your title report from when you purchased, it might alse be contained in there.

On occasion, you get the research done on your property and you find interesting things out. Mrs. Hoffman’s parents bought a farm circa 1977, it apparently used to be owned by Henry Ford. Yeah, that Henry Ford. He owned the property from about 1893-1901. The house dates back to at least 1897, because when they remodeled it in 1993 they found a postcard in the walls with that date talking about how roads were so much better and the 1-week trip to [town] only took 3 days now.

In 2021, that’s a 34-minute trip by speed limit; 24 minutes or so if not.

2 Likes

That’s really cool, great thing to frame for the wall

I didn’t know you guys were on Judge Judy!

2 Likes

:laughing: I think that varies by state or maybe even municipality, whether you’re allowed to paint the side of the fence facing you. I certainly know my town is super strict about precisely where the fence must be relative to the property line, no more no less.

I can’t believe nobody has mentioned bamboo yet

4 Likes

But what if they just pain half the fence?

Where i live, the fence needs to be set back enough to be completely on one person’s property. That person owns the fence, pays for all of the fence, and gets to paint it whatever color they like.

But… If my neighbor hated the color facing her house, and asked to paint it a different color at her expense, i have to think I’d say, “sure”.

2 Likes

What was the final resolution on this?

When we moved into our place we were told that we needed to have surveys done before building a fence.
Amusingly enough, we discovered that half of the stairs to the neighbors parking lot were actually on our property. And a garden area at the end of our garage that they had been using.
We told them they didn’t have to redo their stairs, but that we were reclaiming the garden area as our own.

1 Like