Pretentious (or "SAT words") you use in conversation

I wouldn’t use prodigal except as a Bible joke.

The reference is more meaningful than the definition.

And when it comes to definitions, meaning is everything!

I used “anathema” in a meeting today.

1 Like

Another one that’s in my arsenal.

hydroxychloroquine

covfefe

1 Like

TIL

1 Like

Real sentence from an email broadcasted at my workplace this afternoon:

Power/Generator work is complete. Sorry for any incontinence these issues may have caused.

4 Likes

FTR Inuit is the correct term to use, the other term is seen as a slur so should be avoided.

Huh, I know a person with a bachelor’s degree in “Eskimo” from University of Alaska, which a quick Google search shows still offers the degree. It’s considered derogatory?

It’s possible the people in Alaska are ok with the term, but not those in Canada.

Many individuals who would have historically been referred to as “Eskimo” find that term offensive, and/or forced upon them in a colonial way; “Inuit” is now a common autonym for a large sub-group of these people.

Possible. We have different terms for Indian / Native American / First Peoples too.

People should be defined by their terms of choice imo.

True. The American Indians I know prefer “Indian”, or begrudgingly “American Indian” if necessary to distinguish from Asian Indians. So that is what I tend towards, although I do occasionally slip and say Native American if I’m around others using that term. Certainly in school I was taught Native American.

The Eskimo major I know described himself to me as half-Eskimo, so I’ve always used that term too.

I’ve been corrected by several Indians that we should NOT use the term Native American. However the Asian Indians that I know think we should say Native American to distinguish from Asian Indians. :woman_shrugging:

2 Likes

I don’t think they really get a say.

Their perspective is interesting (to me) though since they are arguably more affected by it than, say, me.

But yes, by and large I agree.

In my area, the Native Tribes hate the term Indian and it’s a good way to get a beat down at a bar. They strongly prefer the actual tribe name or Native American. An Indian is someone from India. It must vary by region.

1 Like

Could be. I agree that you can’t go wrong with the name of the tribe though, if that will work for your particular usage.

Bob is Cherokee > Bob is Indian (assuming Cherokee is accurate, obviously)

But if you’re discussing the percentage of Americans who are American Indian then you want something broader than listing out every single tribe (which is a lot).

Reminds me of that Chris Rock routine. “There are ‘Indians,’ and then, there are ‘Injuns.’”

Well “Injun” is certainly a slur. I would never use that word, except to describe it as a slur as I just did.

Conglomerate and amalgamation came up recently. Similar ideas.

Indigenous vs. indigent is a good way to put your foot in your mouth if you use the latter for the former.