I know there’s been plenty of commentary on this in the past, but I’d like to see a dedicated thread. Post Covid-19 remote work plans and goals.
My company is all over the place. We had some fully remote people pre-Covid, but not many and we’re hiring a few fully remote positions now, but I have a position which they won’t let me hire as fully remote. There’s talk of most my coworkers doing a 2 in 3 from home schedule. Which seems mostly self imposed.
I personally would love to go fully remote and am hoping to eventually have the option. I’ve asked about it, but my boss didn’t take it very well.
- It’d be great to live wherever I want, and not the specific city of my job. This would come with sizeable tax benefits as well.
- I think commuting into the office is a waste of time.
- I dress to impress and think it’s important, but I don’t really like doing it, and will be glad to save on clothes. I wouldn’t own half the clothes I do if it weren’t for work. I didn’t own a polo or sports coat before my first job.
- I have an espresso machine at my house and love having great coffee whenever I want.
- Lunch and snack options are so much better when working from home.
- The temperature at my house is whatever I want it to be. I was always cold at work.
- The noise level at my house is more manageable. I worked in a cube and would always be hearing 10+ conversations.
The only con is I’d miss the comradery of hanging out at lunch, coffee breaks, and happy hour. But it’s pretty heavily out-weighted.