Post-communism fridge syndrome

For a once or twice situation, I think renting might make sense.

But this was my youth (up to my senior year of high school). So it was more cost effective to get a large freezer.

When I was growing up we did not have two fridge/freezers. We had one, and we LIKED it! That was for a family of six. Did not have Costco back then, so one week of food max.

My now family of four has always had two refrigerator/freezer units. Costco’s existence means lots of frozen meats. Thawing two ribeye steaks right now. One Prime, One Choice. Gonna taste-test them, cuz I can.

Almost everyone rented walk-in food lockers in the farming community I grew up in as freezers were rare/expensive and most folks slaughtered their own animals for home consumption. You needed a large cold space to store the parts of an entire cow! The public freezers disappeared by the 1960’s in my community.

1 Like

We’ve gotta prep for your daycare needs. How many are you sending this year? :grinning_face_with_smiling_eyes:

Oh yeah, totally forgot frozen pizzas. We can go thru 5 12" thin crust (with additional custom toppings) on pizza night.

Old fart.
:nerd_face:

There was that ability in my smallish ranchin’ town; but it wasn’t “large scale” operation like what you’re likely referencing.

I would also point out that the freezers of the '80’s were likely far superior to what was available in the '60’s and at a much better price point (especially considering inflation).

1 Like

I can’t believe ain’t nobody joked about the Kruschev thaw. The whole point of the thread was to get that bounced back.

Is that something on tik tok?

It sounds more like a 1920’s dance.

No meat freezer here, but we are a 2-person unit more often than not. Had one growing up though.

Three freezers full of meat.

Sadly, we lost power to one when we were on vacation.
So, we get to throw out over $1k worth of food.

Maybe because I am the only person on this thread old enough to remember Khrushchev and I got sidetracked with other reminisces?