Pi now calculated to 62.8 trillion digits

1. the use of more than 10 decimal places in the approximation of pi is irrelevant for any practical use.

2. The devotion of resources, ie computer time and human capital, to further this effort is meaningless, a waste of time, and a waste of electricity that does nothing but add to the pace of global climate change

Think of all the valuable cryptomining resources they’re taking up!

1 Like

A good chunk of math is mental masturbation - if people care enough about it let them have their fun.

It’s also often the case that we just don’t know the application yet. Lots of what Einstein did was a bit “so what” because it involves such extreme circumstances and now we have GPS.

but did they plot a histogram yet

computers wouldn’t even be around if it wasn’t for math geeks who thought it would be cool for electrons to calculate their shit

Is pi often used in actuarial calculations?

Is that on June 28th?

1 Like

Mods, please cancel culture the shit out of DeepPurple for insufficient wokeness on the precision of irrationality. Also, inform DeepPurple their only function is to study The Game Formerly Known as Chess.

TIA

I use pi in all my actuarial calculations. “Our rate change need for general liability is about 3.0239π %.” “Our losses tend to develop from 12 months to ultimate by a factor of 0.83842824π.” So on and so forth.

1 Like

If you’re standing in a field and a hurricane is approaching from the southwest you’ll find your coverage is really lacking.

Has JFG’s aunt been informed? :pie:

2 Likes

Don’t mess with our emotions by bringing that thread back up. Was the best content AO had for such a long time and I miss it.

I haven’t been very active on this site. Are there any threads where he’s provided us any updates on his life or did that die with AO?

Don’t mention the war… I mentioned it once but I think I got away with it

1 Like

“The war” doesn’t ring any bells. I must’ve missed that.

RNN?

It’s a scene from The Germans episode of Fawlty Towers, which is an old British sitcom with John Cleese. Pretty funny show though.

1 Like

This. After succumbing to pressure as the zombie AO was collapsing, I decided to turn over a new leaf here, so to speak.

5 Likes

:+1: