Personal Disappointments thread

Biggest of my life was lying to my parents about my grades my first 2 years of college. When I had to go tell them I failed out it was awful. The bottom point of my life for sure. Honestly is super important for me because of that.

Also after finally graduating in 2005 with a degree in Economics I had some bad sales jobs in shipping and flooring. I ended up in flooring during the housing bust and had to go back to serving tables for a year and half too. That was hard 3-1/2 years out of college with a wife and child at home. Finally got a job as a claims adjuster at Allstate. After 4 years in insurance I decided to try to be an actuary. The rest is history. Finally 24 years out of high school I have a really nice career.

I am independent, adventurous, and stubborn. I have learned a lot of lessons the hard way and had a lot of disappointments.

2 Likes

I’m disappointed that for all the work I did with the NHL salary cap years ago, it never led to an NHL job anywhere.

Keep in mind, at the time no one else was doing that kind of stuff and I was better versed than anyone on it, and GMs were asking me for help on things and I’m doing that on the side for free while I’m getting started in the actuarial field. No biggie, I figure eventually someone realizes they should probably have me to themselves and calls and offers. Nope, never happened. Meanwhile, others did shitty ass work on the same or other stuff - a few plagarizing work I’d done - and got job offers tossed their way.

Same kind of thing with teh analytics, where I pointed out obvious stuff or asked questions no one else was asking, and 7-10 years later someone else finally does the same and suddenly they’re geneuses at teh analytics and job offers and such and I’m thinking dafuq, I did this shit years ago and none of you wanted to pay attention.

[Entire rant underlying that kind of stuff omitted. I want to stay in a good mood for tomorrow and the rest of the week.]

Regrets? I’ve had a few.

But, then again, too few to mention.

2 Likes

I did what I had to do

And saw it through without exemption

RN

Take your Anka to the regrets thread.

This one is just for disappointments.

Respect the game.

1 Like

I didn’t even know Paul Anka did that song…

Ngl, I was a little disappointed to learn that, myself.

RN

1 Like

the older i get, the less i have. You realize it’s all the same and just thankful for having the important things

1 Like

Fortunately I was talking cumulatively, and not an increasing rate of accrual.

I will never dunk a basketball from the floor on a 10’ rim again.

I will never complete a 5.13 rock climbing route again.

I will never set for an Open-level volleyball team again.

I will never bench 315 again. (or, rather, highly doubtful)
(Though I am keeping the 500# deadlift goal alive for a few years.

I probably wont ski a double diamond again.

Should I be personally disappointed that I can say all the same things, but without the word “again”?

2 Likes

when you realize you don’t have to impress anyone to be happy, you start to see the light

1 Like

I will never run a 5 min mile again. a handful of years ago that was a goal. spent the winter on the treadmill and was very happy with some of the workouts. last one included .75 miles at 12mph and I had more to give. Week later transitioned to outdoors. a week after that started coaching sports again and all free time and workout time evaporated.

2 Likes

Change 12mph to 12 min/mi and “more to give” to “nothing left” and basically same.

2 Likes

it’s like looking in a mirror

1 Like

I can only think of two real disappointments. I think that in some cases I might be disappointed for a bit but as life works its way around, things turn out like they should and those disappointments just become the path I took. However, I was very disappointed when my title was changed after I stopped taking the actuarial exams. It didn’t help that some of the actuaries started treating me differently. I was also disappointed when I “failed” the personality test for the FBI. At the time I really wanted to be a field agent. Both things probably worked out for the better as I think I’ve built a pretty nice life at this point and I am unlikely to get shot during the course of my work.

2 Likes

Nothing. Everything.

1 Like

I never did dunk on a 10’ rim. I could touch the rim, could occasionally get a finger on the top of the rim, once upon a time I got the middle of my hand on the rim, but even with a 39" vertical jump there’s something about being 5’10" limits the actual chances of a dunk.

And I have the same thoughts about running a 5-minute mile, that yeah, if I can get through hip surgeries and rehabbed and built back up, I can do it but realistically I know it’s not happening. No idea what I should be shooting for - I think at first, it’s just “run a 5K without stopping once” - but I’ve got probably a year before I can worry about that.

Neither one is really a disappointment, more of a “that would have been great, but I’ll be fine without it” kind of thing.