Paying for Financial Advice or Services

Your locality taxes interest???

Donā€™t most local income taxes just start with ā€œcopy down your Fed 1040ā€ AGI taxable income line 11? I think line 11 is the right line, and that includes interest.

I dunnoā€¦ Iā€™m mostly familiar with Ohio and Pennsylvania municipalities and with a tiny handful of exceptions they tax Medicare and rental income. Not retirement benefits or non-rental investment income, just stuff you pay Medicare tax on plus the rentalsā€¦ I believe specifically real estate rentals.

Most places Iā€™ve lived in donā€™t have municipal income tax. Well, Portland had a $35 annual tax on anyone with at least $500 of annual income who lived in Portland for at least one day. And an $0.08 per day tax on anyone who worked in Portland that day. Butā€¦ meh.

Iā€™ve worked in Boston and New York City, but I honestly donā€™t recall how those cities tax. I worked in those cities prior to becoming a tax nerd.

Anywho, in most Ohio & I think all Pennsylvania cities you copy line 5 of your W-2 (Medicare wages), and then you add in the bottom line from Schedules C and E, and maybe F. (I donā€™t prepare a lot of Schedule Fs.) Nothing from Schedules B or D though.

I think a couple of taxing cities in Ohio do start with the Ohio AGI, which would include most interest (not govvies or Ohio munis, but most other interest).

Thatā€™s pretty rare though. A couple of richy-rich suburbs. Not real cities that non-Ohioans have heard of, or even most of the puny cities that you havenā€™t.

This is a great idea.