Omicron

why is it such a huge deal to not have a private gathering of more than 25 people anyway? i barely even know 25 people.

We have gatherings of that size 3 to 4 times a year. Christmas, Easter, thanksgiving, etc.

My daughter got married, they eloped. Plan was to have 200 people at a rod and gun club afterwards. Skeet shooting, then a pig roast then Drinking and dancing with my family and friends. It never happened, and now it never will. That’s a huge life event for me. I’ll never attend my daughters wedding, and get hammered with my buds.

My aunt is likely going to pass before end of year. I can’t go to a service with my cousins and family because that’d be well over 25 peeps.I might go back for a small ceremony, if they have one, but no hall rental and sit with fam I haven’t seen in forever and get caught up.

A lot of my life events, things that are fundamental to my lifestyle, aren’t happening right now, and we can’t get that time back.

Guess you should move to ‘Murica. We can do all that stuff. I wonder for governments responsible for all their citizens’ medical coverage if that affects their approach to COVID.

2 Likes

yeah, in the US you can do that stuff, but people are still crying about their freedoms being violated because you can be restricted from that stuff if you’re not vaccinated.

well, in new york anyway. probably not in a whole lot of other states.

Mandatory vaccines and quarantines would fall pretty low on the list of intrusive things the government has done in the name of safety.

1 Like

You can do all that stuff in Canada right now too. I can go to Florida if I want. I can go to the gym. And I can have friends and family over to a max of 25 people, not that anyone’s checking.

No. Even vaxx nut jobs like me won’t put up with this forever. The assumption is that we get somewhere where COVID doesn’t impact our daily lives.

Vaccinations and masking can pretty much get us there, so I can go back to normal. The people not following the restrictions are the ones causing the restrictions right now.

Millions will die regardless of what is or isn’t done, this isn’t going away, this is life now. We can choose either life with greater government controls, or without, in both cases Covid will keep killing people.

1 Like

How’s that been working out for you?

This is normal. Accepting the current measures now means accepting them for the foreseeable future.

Vaccine mandates are not new. It floors me how many people have forgotten that.

If vaccines and masks and a few other easily doable measures can save 90% of those who get Covid, then it’s for the greater good of our species that we do those things.

The slippery slope argument is silly. Honestly so is referring to it as “government control”. :roll_eyes:

I’m not referring to vaccine mandates, I’m referring to all the other controls I clearly laid out above.

We’ve given up a lot of freedoms in the last two years and Omicron is leading to those becoming permanent.

Covid is now a constant state of emergency with no end on sight.

1 Like

For 4 months this year I was under a stay at home order. Police could press charges for being outside your home.

We’ve given that power to the government through the pandemic. When do we get it back?

1 Like

I disagree with the cynicism in that column you link.

I agree that covid is not going anywhere. And as with any highly technical policy, there is always the danger that a technocratic bureaucracy will, intentionally or not, take too much control of policy through its technical skill.

What we need is a political process where we collectively engage in a critical dialog to weigh the risks and benefits of different ways to mitigate against covid risk.

But that discussion needs to involve actual facts about covid, not just outrage at government.

Instead, that column seems to really be after affirmation of a particular political philosophy, health dangers be damned.

And it functions as propaganda, although that particular author may not have intended it that way. We’ve seen the next steps. They are lies about the effectiveness of vaccines, of masks.

Freedom has to be grounded in truth. There is so little truth in that column or the approach it represents that it cannot lead to freedom.

1 Like

what does that mean exactly? how do you get food or go to a doctor?

regardless, yes i agree with you that this is government overreach. i didn’t realize things were that extreme in canada. the one time we had a stay-at-home order was during the george floyd protests for a few days and it was just after 8pm. it was not. received. well. they only kept it on for a few days. never had a stay-at-home order for covid.

I agree, and I’ve seen no evidence of that from government, no discussion of long term trade offs, no discussion of specific risk. I’ve seen scare tactics through this whole almost two years being used to control people. Again, for four months this year, it was illegal for me to leave my house without a specific allowable purpose. There was no discussion behind that with people, only an ultimatum.

We were told vaccination was the key. Then double vaccination, now with a booster, and well that may or may not be enough for Omicron.

Where’s the discussion of trade offs?

1 Like

Really? You were confused about why we had lock downs?

maybe i’m forgetting, but pretty sure we didn’t have lockdowns in the US for covid at all. they closed restaurants and most retail stores, but i could leave my apartment as much as i pleased.

oh i think there was some craziness early on where some states wouldn’t let new yorkers in, but that was lifted as insane pretty early.

You’re cynicism about future issues, I do not disagree with.

That doesn’t mean we don’t have to deal firmly with the pandemic now.

Later, we will deal with the govt controls. I think you’ll find a lot more than the antivaxxers who will demand things return to some semblance of normal in the future. But now is not the time for that.

Right now a bunch of the resistance seems to be little more than I wont do it because I was told to do it. That doesn’t wash when not following the restrictions Puts everyone at high levels of risk.

As for me, we just had a gathering of a dozen people. That’s it for us until we see how how the new variant plays out. We have a seats booked for a play in February, that may be a no go.

idk, i think even the pro-vax people are tired of it now. we don’t have restrictions in new york though. if we went back to closing the restaurants, people would be pissed.

we never had a lock down like what snik is describing though.

1 Like