NYC vacation March 2024

Met is huge, Guggenheim has interesting architecture, Frick is the smallest. Central Park is right across the road from the Frick and Guggenheim and the Met is right on the edge of the park. Junior can go to the park if he’s not into art or museums. :+1:

1 Like

Natural history museum. Meet NDGT

1 Like

We easily were walking 10+ miles a day in Boston. My spouse has a degenerative neuromuscular disease, so being able to walk all over with my son will be nice. I feel guilty saying that it’d be a much more fun trip with my son.

That was my thought, but someone commented that natural history museums are similar to each other.

He’d come to an art museum if I really wanted to go, and if there’s a “have to see if you’re in New York” museum, I’d be open to that. I’ve no idea of if/when I’d go again.

If you liked the movie Serendipity, you can go to Serendipity 3 for their famous frozen hot chocolates. Scott’s Pizza Tours is fun if you want to learn about pizza in NYC. Done it twice as he visits different places over time.

The downsides of the Empire State building observation deck are that you can’t actually see the building itself and that it’s very crowded. We loved “Top of the Rock” at Rockefeller Center but it’s views of Central Park will probably not be as impressive in March. Summit One at Vanderbilt is new and looks even better, but I’ve never been.

High Line and Brooklyn Bridge are both great.

If you like Chinese food and want to try something a bit different, I recommend the soup dumplings at Joe’s Shanghai in Chinatown.

“The Traditional” (everything bagel with salmon, plain cream cheese, tomatoes, onions and capers) from Murrays Bagels is one of my favorite things in the world. Just amazing. I am not a food snob by any means, but living in NYC for 4 years ruined non NYC bagels for me.

2 Likes

Mostly agree, but St Viateur bagels in Montreal are awesome!!!

For the Empire State Building, I usually went early in the day: crowds weren’t as bad.

wow thats an old movie. I loved that movie with Cusack and Beckinsale. One of my favourites.

Guggenheim, IMO

1 Like

I googled that this morning. Wow.

I have gone to all 3 and Summit One was the most unique and was my favorite. It also has the advantage of being indoors and especially in March where the weather is a tossup can be a big advantage.

With that being said, you cannot go wrong with any of them and they are all amazing; and if you are in Hudson Yards for some reason you can go to the deck there.

Also, if you want to be a complete nerd:

1 Like

Haha, my son would ditch me in a hot minute. He is not mathy.

I think given the unique factor that this might be the winner, not to mention the weather factor. They’re all similar in price for basic viewing.

Question:
I’m looking at the Holiday Inn Times Square on 8th Ave between West 38th and 39th St. It’s relatively inexpensive and has free breakfast. I skimmed through some reviews, with positive things like location (we were aiming near Bryant Park), friendly/helpful staff and clean rooms. Negatives were slow elevators (only 2) and, more concerning, a couple of people commenting on panhandlers or people shooting up drugs out front. I get this is a major city, though. Any thoughts from those familiar with the area?

It’s New York City. You’re going to see panhandlers.

I don’t recall seeing people openly shoot up drugs during my brief stint living in NYC, but I’d be skeptical if it was only one or two reviews. Times Square is one of the safer areas in Midtown (or at least it was), but you certainly have to be aware of pickpocketers. Keep a small wallet in your front pocket under your coat and your cell phone in the other pocket and you’ll most likely be fine.

“You have failed me for the last time…”
(At least you will get the reference.)

“See, son? This is what happens when you are not mathy.”

One other thought: in my experience Holiday Inn Express has free breakfast but Holiday Inn does not. If that’s a factor in your decision just double check before you book if you’re looking at the Holiday Inn and not Holiday Inn Express.

I looked it up in Google Streetview.

When the GSV car went by in 2022 and 2021, there was an NYPD mobile command center parked in front of the place. I imagine that would deter certain kinds of activity.

Looking back a bit further – the entry is off a courtyard (I assume the site of a former building), which I imagine would attract people looking for shelter from the wind or the flow of people.

I wouldn’t be at all surprised if there were the occasional panhandler, or someone shooting up at night, when the NYPD isn’t present. But I think it’s unlikely to be an outpost of skid row.

Good call. I’d looked at a Holiday Inn Express in Times Square south and mixed it up with the one I mentioned above. The Express is $400 more for the stay, which is more than we’d eat for breakfast. I’m also debating doing a Costco package (airfare, hotel, transfers) in Murray Hill.

2 Likes

Because all of Manhattan is.

BAZINGA!

Last night I remembered how nervous he got at a hotel in Portland, OR when he went to see a Formula 1 race. They ended up changing hotels because it was so sketchy (homeless encampment in the parking lot).

1 Like