New rules

again, cannabis is not some miracle drug, you can’t just “self medicate with cannabis”, unless your illness is easily cured with placebo.

1 Like

That day is here. My bil had been prescribed weed for his back pain, and he grows his own, and it’s really cheap per dose. He’s buying a little less opioid medication, but that was already restricted, so mostly he just has less pain and fewer sick days. It’s really not cutting into big pharma’s profits in any significant way.

Do you have any evidence they are actively lobbying to keep it illegal?

Who finances WebMD?

The site generates revenue primarily through advertising and sponsored content for pharmaceutical, biotech, and medical device companies, as well as hospitals, health insurance providers, and lifestyle and wellness brands.

I wouldn’t necessarily call it an independent and fact checked authority. In any event, even if you choose to accept its medical advice as gospel, ( good luck with that), I’d be skeptical about their business analysis department.

4 Likes

not twig using a big pharma sponsored website to argue for big pharma!

1 Like

Edibles seem to be something that Big Pharma could manufacture instead of opiates. Sure, not as profitable, but they won’t have to complain about eating into their profits.

they should also invest in the 2am pizza industry while they’re at it

2 Likes

I’m surprised Domino’s is not owned by Eli Lilly.

Does his insurance cover the cost the same as any other prescription?

I doubt it. If no, that day is not here. It’s still technically illegal. Not in ways that make it difficult to obtain, but in ways that are relevant nonetheless.

It doesn’t cost him anything, so no. And “technically illegal, but no one will do anything about that” isn’t very illegal. Last i looked it was technically illegal to bathe on Sunday in Boston, but no one cares.

The competition to big pharma isn’t “insurance is paying for this other thing”, it’s “insurance isn’t paying for big pharma any more”. I’ve yet to see any suggestion that legalized cannabis would make that happen.

So i looked, and it seems that opioid manufacturers and the liquor industry HAVE both fought legalization of cannabis.

Not sure legislators really want to be associated with the opioid epidemic, but maybe they do if the price is right. Pretty dirty money, IMHO.

1 Like

You are obviously not a political spin doctor. They are associating with companies that make life-saving drugs.

This kind of reminds me of the scene from Mad Men. From memory…

Don: That’s it! That’s your new slogan: “It’s toasted!”

Tobacco exec: Yeah, but that’s not unique to Lucky Strike. Everyone else’s cigarettes use toasted tobacco too.

Don (emphatically): No! Everyone else’s cigarettes cause cancer.