New Phone recommendations

I nearly got the Pixel 4a, for the headphone jack. But I decided I cared more about “I can wash it” than about the jack. I struggled with that, however. And I ordered a pair of dongles, one to live with my headphones, and one to live with my recording equipment.

I am looking forward to wireless charging, too. I used to have that, and loved it.

I also second the opinion that Google Fi is awesome for international travel. I had a seamless user experience in Tanzania and my bill was the same as usual.

My bill is normally pretty cheap ($25-45). You can keep it close to $25 if you are diligent about not using data often other than when on wifi. I’m not diligent.

Yeah, that’s my experience, too. I am not close to diligent. Now that I’m always home, it’s very cheap. Back BC, it ran about $40 a month, because I was not diligent about avoiding data. I did make sure that my daily dump from the WSJ happened on wifi, but that was the only data-thing so big (and so time-insensitive) that I cared.

I wonder if the WSJ has fixed that? I was shocked when I first subscribed and picks a few default settings and then saw what my data usage ballooned to.