New Music Game

Not yet . . . no topic has been offered. It’s only those “entries” for which folks vote upon that are ultimately excluded.

We’ll start the first round and give a couple days for entries! The first category will be fairly general.

Submit: A song that reminds you of home

(As a quick guidance, this can be a song that specifically references ‘going home’ or ‘leaving home’ or something like that, but it doesn’t have to. There aren’t really bad answers to this one, though there certainly might be for next time)

Please send me a DM with the song and artist. I will try posting the songs with accompanying youtube videos when it’s time to vote, so if you send me a youtube link I will use that one.

We are up to 7 songs now. But we could do better!

How many artists do you want to knock out in the first round?
:face_with_raised_eyebrow:

All of them

1 Like

Welp, no one joined yesterday, so we’ll go with 7. Pick a song that isn’t yours, and feel free to discuss. Results will be available when the poll closes.

Should I put the poll at the top of the thread or is where it is fine? Thoughts on that or in general on the poll?

I think poll at the bottom works. For mobile, when I go to this thread it picks up on the new posts I haven’t read yet. Not sure if it works the same on desktop.

Regarding voting… I think we should knock out artists that don’t have a lot of hit songs. I would want to keep Billy Joel, Motley Crue, and Beach Boys.

I think part of this game is to get creative and introduce others to music that they may not have known about. Though I think we can find a mechanism to introduce artists already picked at some point.

That’s an interesting take on it. I like it. I like the music I like, but I get stale on hearing some things over and over again. Even some favorites I get tires of after a while.

One thing, I am confused on how to use the poll. I make my selection but there is no button to " chalk up" and submit my vote. Is it sufficient to just
make a pick and leave it there? I seem to be able to change my vote after I have made it, as there is no “submit” button. I am still getting used to the new GO software.

1 Like

I voted for Thin Lizzy. RIP Phil Lynott

I made it so that you can change your vote, but nobody can see the results until the poll closes (which will be on Tuesday). I suppose that’s just the way it works with “don’t show results until it closes” polls.

I can think of better songs for Billy Joel than the one for this topic, though. And Billy has a nice range of song types. So I’m not sure how knocking him out so fast provides “diversity” of exposure, especially if few haven’t heard his songs (beyond what might play on “The Classics” radio streams).

That’s my take on it too. I also think more people may be inclined to join as well if you keep more of the mainstream artists in the running and knock out one-hit wonders. You would still get introduced to new music by the poll.

For the record, @IPD , I like your rules. I probably won’t participate much because I’m not much of a “music” person (at least not in the context of what this game is about), but I appreciate what you are trying to do.

3 Likes

Q: How should one answer this poll?

• Song I think is “best”
  • Song I like the most
  • Song that best fits the brief (for me - i.e. reminds me of home)
  • Song that best fits the brief (for the submitter - i.e reminds him/her of home)

0 voters

All of the above. It’s purposefully vague. I think for me it’s the song that makes me think “Oh nice one”

spoiler alert the Mod has also submitted a song and vote!

1 Like

Sorry for all the questions (ulterior motive to bump this up to the top), but just wanted to clarify:

• should I limit my vote to songs that are new to me, in keeping with the idea of the thread?
  • is it possible to award negative points/votes?

Does not have to be new to you. You can vote for any song for any reason.

No negative points at this time

1 Like