New Music Game Season #2

All good!

I was so close to voting for it i feel like it should get bonus points

Speaking of points, does anyone know how to format a table around here?

Yeah I’m struggling with the category myself as well. I came up empty.

I have multiple entries I considered but maybe I’m just messed up in the music I listen to.
Had Bruce Springsteen not be eliminated in Game 1, he’d have multiple entries all by himself.

I thought this round would be easier for me than it was. The song I submitted feels kinda like a cop-out.

0 voters

Randomized order this time woopsie

I don’t know why I keep learning that songs I dig originate from TikTok (though I didn’t vote for the TikTok song for this topic.)

Lol, somebody else contributed a Sting song but not that Sting song. I figured he was already banned so didn’t bother checking.

Wasn’t feeling a lot of these hit my criteria:

• On-topic
  • New (or at least not totally familiar with)
  • Enjoyable (or at least okay, or something I absolutely despite enough to hate-vote)

I wish I’d submitted Every Breath You Take.

For clarity, @IPD: would that song be allowed in future rounds since it was The Police & not strictly Sting?

Asking for a friend.

I think The Police would be allowed in the future

Some good songs in this list. I find myself reading the lyrics as I listen to get the full effect.

2 Likes

So we have songs about the worst of humanity, about school shootings, about the Holocaust, about infanticide, about serial killing, about being ostracized by the world. Then we have some really catchy broken heart songs.

Maybe guilty pleasure territory but good 4 u is a banger. Its basically if Taylor Swift and Paramore had a song child, this is the song. I probably won’t end up voting for it because I already hear the song all the time lol

Great group of songs. I like all of them. I’m going to go with the one I liked the most from a band I wasn’t familiar with that I thought best fit the theme.

The hook on Good 4 U is awesome. No doubt. The rest doesn’t exactly live up to it.

Agree with others, that a few of these don’t really fit the category for me. Mostly the heartbreak ones. They sound like heartbreak songs to me, i.e., the lyrics match the song.

To be clear, I’m not putting G4U in this category. I think this is a better mismatch.

Also, I would use the official music video for that one, which I think fits the theme better: Olivia Rodrigo - good 4 u (Official Video) - YouTube

The John Wayne Gacy song is damn haunting.

3 Likes

Agree about the video, my guess is the version that was submitted was done so because it had lyrics written out

Going back to voting criteria. All of our favorite topics. I think here is how I would summarize the two camps.

1. Must fit the category. Best/favorite/most interesting song wins, acknowledging a bonus if it’s something new to me.

2. Must fit the category. Must be something I had never or barely heard before. Best/favorite/most interesting song wins. If nothing applies, then pick your best/favorite/most interesting of the ones you did know.

And I just can’t justify “new” trumping “best”. A bonus for new is fine.

Not sure why I’m bringing this up. Just on my mind as I read through this thread and listen to the songs.

1 Like

I figured that, too. But then the official video also had lyrics, I think.