New Music Game Season #2

I wonder if Pharrell Williams will show up . . .

I briefly considered a song with the word “Happy” in the title (though not that one)

Interesting - I searched a few lists and a number of common ones came up but I gotta say one list I found of “Happy Upbeat Songs” had a few umm interesting choices.
I mean Lightning Crashes by Live, Luca by Suzanne Vega and Semi-charmed Life by Third Eye Blind are all good songs but I’d hardly consider the themes of a mother dying in child birth, a song about child abuse and a song about meth addition to be “happy upbeat songs” but OK.

1 Like

We are up to 9 entries, can we get at least one more by the end of the day?

Ten

2 Likes
A song that makes you happy

0 voters

This one turned out kind of easy vote as there was only one song I wasn’t familiar with, that I liked, and it made me happy.

Not an easy vote for me.

That said, I am still trying to figure out the criteria for how I vote.

Important:
-I Like the song
-Fits the Category

Could be important:
-New to Me
-Nostalgia feeling of a song I already know
-Miscellaneous gut choices

1 Like

Aw, I was on vacation and didn’t see Round 1. My bad though. Voting soon.

1 Like

I added multiple songs from this round to my general spotify playlist

Seems a very subjective criteria . . .

1 Like

Especially this round.

I think my voting criteria goes-

Do I like the song? If no, remove from consideration
Are any songs left that are new to me? If yes, select the best* song from this bucket
If no, then select the best* song from those I already knew

*best is subjective. When the criteria is something like “female singer” it is just a checkbox and then I choose the one I like the most. When the criteria is something like “funny” or “makes me happy” I choose the one that I deem “funniest” or I feel made me the “happiest”.

1 Like

^that’s pretty close to how I do it.

In this case, I knew all but 3. I didn’t like those 3. So I chose the one that made me the happiest from the other 7.

There are two songs new to me that I like. There are two songs that I know but haven’t heard in years that I like. I’m having trouble deciding between those 4. But then there are maybe one or two well known songs that I’ve certainly heard recently but also fit the category very well, and I’m contemplating giving them my vote too.

10 songs, 8 votes?

Not a great voter turnout, we’ll have to do better next time.

Walk the Moon with the walkover. Big victory. I considered it. I like to brag that the first time I heard the song on the radio on some alternative rock station I told my then girlfriend “this song is gonna be huge”.

I had voted for Ida Maria, but then changed my vote. If I had more time I may have changed back. Ida Maria has this quality mid-late-00’s sound that was very familiar even though I hadn’t heard the song before. I liked it a lot. Also liked the Humpty Dance as my other song I hadn’t heard before.

Weezer was a good one, and I hadn’t heard that song in a long time. I have a lot of Weezer in my general rotation but this song is not in it. I considered it though.

The Aquabats is a fun one, and this song I hadn’t heard in years. They are a band that I never got into but saw them in concert once and listened to a lot of their stuff beforehand, this song included. In the end they got my vote.

Oh and I submitted Birdhouse in Your Soul. Makes me happy at least lol

2 Likes

@OutdoormanNowActuary gets the gold this round
@Kat987 gets silver
@YankeeTripper and @AbstractActuary split the bronze.

congrats to the winners. round 2 will be posted in the morning.