Net Pay

Clearly I’m the only one here who is going to be keeping the lights on at the office in our 70s

2 Likes

I think we still have company cars, but that is strictly only for business travel (sales).

In our case (actuarial non-sales) we get a 12% car scheme uplift to our gross pay. I don’t know exactly when this happened but I think it was when they moved away from providing company cars to the senior actuaries.

You can then use your own car or lease one from the corporate car scheme.

Leasing via the company scheme is very beneficial as they also cover insurance (which is getting very expensive now in the UK if done individually).

1 Like

According to my 2023 year-end summary, net divided by gross for the year was 65% (26% tax, 10% deductions). However, I make pretty substantial quarterly estimated tax payments, so my tax rate is higher than what that figure implies.

1 Like

I take home roughly 50-51% as well

I need to move to a red state and maybe shift from making Roth 401k contributions to Traditional

1 Like

Btw 25% savings is pretty good. With the additional 7% employer contribution you should have no issue retiring early

1 Like

If you’re up to 32% tax that’s a no-brainer. Personally I started putting 100% into Traditional when we hit 24%. I figure my existing Roth basis (about 60% of current total) mixed with the current Traditional investments will let me withdraw at a low future rate.

3 Likes

my most recent net is 52% of gross.

14% is savings (401k and HSA).
4% is benefits
29% is taxes

bonus payout had no benefits or savings in it and that was net 66%.

additional savings has to occur outside of the work program as I am on pace to hit my limit for HSA and 401k over 12 months.

2 Likes

I keep 55%, max out 401k&HSA. That goes up 6% at some point during the year when the SS tax cap is met. Bonus money usually goes into savings unless I need to pay down a car loan or pay for a house project.

2 Likes

I’m at 57% net currently, although 7% is going to an ESPP, which I consider delayed income rather than savings because I sell right after each purchase date. Including that, I’m at 64% net.

2 Likes

So state the taxes as a percent of gross, not as a percent of taxable. We have that in the US too and “taxable” isn’t even consistent.

Social Security & Medicare tax all retirement contributions but not medical insurance.

Federal and most taxing states do not tax medical insurance OR the traditional retirement contributions with the idea that they will instead tax the retirement distributions.

Many taxing local governments tax Medicare wages, but some will tax whatever the state taxes… this varies quite a bit as do rules about how they share it when you live in one and work in another.

I’m using “medical” in a broad sense here.

1 Like

I just double checked, it’s actually 8%, my employer’s cash balance contribution increased to 4% after a few years of employment. It will be increasing to 5% in 2027, and 6% in 2033, and 7% in 2040…but none of that is guaranteed, of course.

1 Like

Total: 58%, as of latest paycheck. Will change as caps are hit later in the year

401k + HSA: 15% (plus an additional 6% company match and up to 6% profit share)
Before-Tax bennies: 1%
After-Tax “beny”: <1% (we partner with a local charity org and they auto-deduct each paycheck)
Taxes: 26%

2 Likes

Net: 53%
401k/HSA/FSA: 22%
Benefits: 2%
Taxes: 23%

Not a whole lot different than others here

2 Likes

Does anyone else’s employer vary the benefits withholding amount based on how much your base salary is?

Just DI and Life Insurance - as far as I can remember

1 Like

My company’s medical withholding varies based on your base salary, for example if your base is >= 150k the company contributes less than if your base is < 150k

Yes, but for us it’s a much lower number, I think $50k.

1 Like

My last company had two tiers of health insurance premiums based on salary, therefore we were on my partner’s insurance within the company instead of mine :person_shrugging:

They also had a stipend for people who didn’t use the company’s health insurance, so I was paid out some nontrivial amount to each paycheck. Then they ended that stipend. Along with most of the ESPP benefit. Along with a holiday. Along with paid lunches. Along with… Anyway I’m at a new company.

3 Likes

:laughing: Yeah sounds a bit like mine. The ESPP benefit here is just 5% whereas my last company was 10%, I don’t even bother with the 5%.

With the start of this CY they removed any HSA contribution and increased the health insurance a chunk :frowning:

2 Likes

We had a 15% ESPP, and they quietly reduced it to 5% without an announcement. I had been putting 30% of my salary into it (selling ASAP) and immediately reduced that to 0%. They took away the not-using-insurance stipend I mentioned, and there used to be a discretionary additional 401k contribution up to 10% at year-end based on company performance, quietly removed from the handbook. It was a garbage fire that I leapt from in time.

3 Likes