Need Professional Help on What to do

If I use the study guides and materials to prepare for the exam, is it possible to pass the exam without taking an actual calculus class?

I mean… maybe??? You’d have to buy a Calculus textbook and self-study the whole 1.5 years worth of material though. You could probably skip a few things that are no longer tested, like hyperbolic trig functions. Actually… I don’t think there’s much trig tested at all any more (but check).

The first exam used to be 75% Calculus. Now they no longer directly test Calculus; they assume you know it.

So while you won’t need to know how to calculate the volume of a solid of revolution using both shell method and disc method, like I did… If you can’t take a partial derivative you’re going to be in big trouble.

If you don’t understand everything I just wrote then there’s no way that you know enough Calculus to sit for exams. The easiest way to correct that deficiency is to take a class (well… 3 classes if your school is on semesters) where a professor spoon-feeds you the material. But self-study is possible.

Of course it’s possible, just difficult. A lot of people do that for the exams. But…not normally for the foundational calc and probability stuff. For the first course, I think you’d be a lot better off with courses on the material.

I’d taken three years of calculus but had taken Calc 2 over a summer and so didn’t feel I knew it as deeply and Exam P really felt like it was making me re-learn Calc 2 for real this time… so I wouldn’t underestimate the amount of prep you’ll need if you haven’t taken any calculus.

Neither of those “college” math courses would count for decent STEM programs. Anything before Calculus I would be considered remedial math. (sorry) Yes, it’s possible to have a real college level math class with “algebra” in the name but I doubt this is the case here.

For example, here is the description for the Algebra I class at MIT:
“This undergraduate level Algebra I course covers groups, vector spaces, linear transformations, symmetry groups, bilinear forms, and linear groups.”

Ah- you took those classes in high school! Then they really would not count. The only college math class you can possibly place out of due to high school is Calculus I, and that’s only if you do well on the BC Calculus AP exam. Sometimes you also have to take the placement test even if you get a good score on the AP exam. AP= Advanced Placement. If your high school class wasn’t followed by an AP exam, the “college” part was just a word.

I will join the chorus- you desperately need to get yourself some pre calculus and then calculus training. A solid foundation in pre calculus is just as important, you shouldn’t just go to straight to calculus unless your pre calculus is super solid.

It’s possible that the “college algebra” class you took has overlap with pre calculus, or it may not. You’d have to compare the syllabus of your college algebra class with the foundational knowledge you should have before calculus.

According to this (admittedly random) source:

Calculus Prerequisites

To succeed in the first semester calculus, typically known as calculus 1, students have to have a strong foundation in algebra and pre-calculus. The types of courses that a student should take prior to calculus vary according to whether the student is taking calculus in high school or in college. Typical high school prerequisites are pre-algebra, algebra 1, algebra 2 and pre-calculus. Each course after pre-algebra assumes a working knowledge and thorough understanding of the courses that come after it. College course equivalents cover the same topics in a compressed manner. Typical college prerequisites for calculus are college algebra 1, college algebra 2 and pre-calculus.

I don’t want to say “no” but… honestly, no. But it’d be great if you could prove me wrong!

Have you heard of CFA exams? You’d have an easier time passing CFA exams. I’m not kidding. (You’d still have to learn calculus, but passing these exams will still be a lot easier) Plus that accounting major which is an option at your school could possibly be helpful. You could research CFA exams and how tough they are and just keep in mind that (no matter what the people say about these being super duper tough) actuarial exams are a lot tougher.

Theoretically, you can take online courses in pre calculus and calculus. Some are even free. But even if the course is free and ungraded, definitely still get the textbook and work through all the assigned (at least) problems yourself on paper.

I’m confused why “college algebra” even exists as a high school class. My high school had college calculus, not college algebra. Prior to college calculus I took pre-calculus, but not everyone did. You could skip straight to calculus I think. The only reason I took pre-calculus was because I got the first year of high school math credits in my last year in junior high. Also, pre-calculus was a high school class back then, not a college class. Why would a high school offer a remedial college course? Algebra is either a high school course or a remedial college course for people who are bad in math or have a major that isn’t math focused.

I think he should either switch colleges or just don’t be an actuary. This field isn’t like the best thing ever. Become an accountant if you want to stay where you are. It’s a solid career choice. As for money, my sister is a CPA and makes waaaaaaaaay more money than I do as an actuary. But then again, does your college have a good accounting department? She went to a pretty good college for accounting.

When I was in college, algebra was not a remedial math class. There was a 100 level algebra. It wasn’t intended for math majors but it was definitely there for other degrees. It was more advanced than high school algebra if I recall correctly. By taking college algebra in high school you may be able to get some transfer credits towards your general degree requirements even if it doesn’t help you progress with a required calculus class.

I think that my daughter took college algebra last year as a junior as a bridge to get into college credit calculus this year. I think the cost was like $300 and if that gets her a couple of credits, that’s a pretty cheap gamble.

ah, yeah, in that case it might make sense for kids going into non-math related fields in college to take college algebra in high school. I graduated high school a really long time ago, and the only math college class offered to us was calculus. Likely different now.

I think this could be a misleading exception to the rule though. Some CPAs are also a CFO, but most CPAs aren’t.

I don’t know. All her CPA friends also do really well.

If we just use median pay from BLS it’s 73.5k vs 111k, 51% difference.

there are a lot more accountants than actuaries, and i think if you’re somewhat intelligent, it is easier to make a better living as an accountant. to be a top tier accountant is likely easier than being the same as an actuary. people going into the actuarial profession, are on average, more intelligent than accountants, an it’s a smaller field, so a lot more competition.

I mean if we condition on all the accountants who are successful then they’re successful. Maybe the accounting comp distribution has a fatter tail, I don’t know, but at a high level if you’re looking at accounting vs actuarial hearing that “my sister makes waaaay more money as an accountant” is kind of misleading. The reality is the opposite for the vast majority of comparisons.

I think it’s easier to be successful and be at that fat tail as an accountant than an actuary with similar intelligence level. That’s my point.

there was a 100 level algebra. It wasn’t intended for math majors but it was definitely there for other degrees

Exactly.

Maybe, but if you’re comparing it to the median actuary you’ll already need to be 50% up from the median accountant just to catch up.

You need to consider what you would be good at in terms of salary. His background doesn’t convince me that he will make a lot of money as an actuary. You can’t just look at the median. You need to consider your own abilities here. A lot of people go into accounting, and a lot of them aren’t necessarily that smart. That summary you gave me also doesn’t specify CPA’s. I’m talking about CPA’s, not just any accountant. It’s easier to pass the CPA exam than become a credentialed actuary.

Ain’t that the truth. I think you have to pass them all within an 18 month period. I have multiple family members who have their CPA and I tell them it stands for “Can’t Pass Actuarial exams”, and so far no one has disagreed with me.

I might just be bitter because I’m going on 9 years of taking exams and I’m still not done. Next year! :sgrover: