NCAA Tourney Pick 9 Challenge - 2021

Bringing this back from the old school, cuz I’m an old fool, who’s… looking to entertain himself this week.

Pick 8 teams in the NCAA Tourney field to succeed, and one to fail miserably. Points are awarded based on seeds and how far they make it (or not). For the 8 teams you think will perform admirably, they get points for their seed number multiplied by the points selected for that round. You get 1 point for a first round win, 2 for the second, 3 for a Sweet 16 win, 6 for the Elite 8, then 8 in the Final Four and 10 for the championship. (Sorry first four, you don’t count). So a 10-seed gets 10 points for winning one game, 30 for making it to the Sweet 16, etc. But taking Gonzaga to win it all would only net you 30.

As for that lovable loser. Or Kansas, I hate Kansas. They will get you bonus points based on how quickly they lose. A 5-8 seed will get you 1 point for bowing out in the first round. A 3-4 seed losing in the first round gets you 4, in the second round 2. Pick a 1-2 seed and they will get you 10 points for a first round loss, 8 for a second round loss, and 4 if they lose in the Sweet 16.

If you pick a team that bows out due to COVID, that will be considered a LOSS (not a forfeit). May impact your loser picks…

Place all picks here, scores will be tallied whenever I get around to it.

Winners:
1 - Illinois
2 - Iowa
2 - Ohio State
3 - Texas
6 - Texas Tech
8 - Wisconsin
11 - Syracuse
12 - Winthrop

Loser:
1 - Baylor

Love this game.

2 - Ohio State
3 - West Virginia
4 - Purdue
4 - Oklahoma State
4 - Florida State
8 - LSU
12 - Winthrop
13 - Ohio

Loser:
1 - Michigan

I’ve never played this game, but it seems like fun, so let’s give it a go…

Winner:
1-Michigan
2-Alabama
2-Ohio State
3-West Virginia
4-Purdue
5-Tennessee
6-USC
6-BYU

Loser:
1-Baylor

Also, if you’re looking for even more fun, see my thread with various pick 'em games.

1 - Gonzaga
2 - Houston
4 - Virginia
5 - Colorado
5 - Tennessee
5 - Villanova
6 - Texas Tech
6 - San Diego State

Loser -
2 - Alabama

1. ILL
  2. Alabama
  3. Ok St
  4. LSU
  5. UT St
  6. SD St
    10 Rutgers
    10 MD

Loser -

1. Baylor

Winners
1 - Illinois
1- Michigan
5 - Tennessee
6 - UCSB
6 - SD St
6 - BYU
10 - MD
12 - UCSB

Loser
2- Alabama

I’ll put mine in soon, but just want to say I’m loving the Baylor hate!

Winners:
1 - Illinois
1 - Gonzaga
2 - Houston
4 - Purdue
5 - Colorado
6 - BYU
6 - USC
10 - VCU

Loser: Michigan

1 Gonzaga
2 Ohio State
4 Oklahoma State
6 USC
6 San Diego St
7 UConn
7 Florida
8 Loyola Chicago

Loser
1 Illinois!

1 Michigan
2 Ohio St
3 Kansas
5 Creighton
9 Wisconsin
11 Syracuse
11 UCLA
12 Georgetown

Loser:
1 Baylor

1 - Gonzaga
2 - Houston
5 - Colorado
6 - San Diego State
6 - Southern Cal
6 - Texas Tech
8 - Loyola
10 - Maryland

Loser:
2 - Alabama

No OSU picks for Loser of the year… Opportunity missed…

And no one on Oral Robert’s. 2 wins for a 15 seed! Sorry I missed this one this year. But I probably would not have picked Oral Robert’s either.

I’m going to say nailing the Loser pick was nice… but man did my Winner picks suck!

Question for the future, can we pick one team as both a winner and a loser? Or is the rule 9 distinct teams?

Both is acceptable. I believe it was done once before in the prior iteration of this game.

Through the first weekend…

EzekialC 96
Jahiegel 72
Arbitrary 64
Grizz 51
Outdoorman 40
A Student 39
PatientZombie 35
Ultimate Anyone 33
Kid Rock 32
1698514 30

Note that I translated Kid Rock’s 6 - UCSB to USC, letters and ranking seemed to lean that way.

Ouch.

If it makes you feel better, you are one of the 4 players with 3 teams still left in the tournament… although the other three are Zeke, Jahiegel, and me… so we have a little head start in terms of points.

I just noticed that I’m eliminated, can’t catch Jahiegel. I’ll take second happily.

1 Like