My repository of really old Actuarial books

Yes, well I don’t think I’m going from ‘what’s this $50 charge on the credit card’ to ‘what’s this $1500 charge on the credit card?’ lol.

So offer them $200. Or whatever you’re willing to pay.

I appreciate that, but I would be wasting their time. It’s my second most expensive hobby, not gonna bump it to first place :slight_smile:

as long as it makes you happy and you’re not spending my money

Well it’s not de moivre, but I just bought “1838 1ST DE MORGAN ESSAY ON PROBABILITIES, LIFE CONTINGENCIES, INSURANCE OFFICES”.
That book is already available readily online but I wanted it anyway because of the name dropping benefits.

I’ve got about 25 books scanned so I’ll likely throw them online in the next week or so then just add more as I scan them.

1 Like

There’s interesting stuff in a lot of these books. Who owned them, where they’ve been, etc.

I’m scanning a book right now that has the following inscriptions:

• Compliments of the author to Rev. M. Johnston
  • My husband’s uncle wrote this book. I want to keep it in my family. (Mattie T. Johnston)
  • But now i want Paul D. Cail (great great nephew) to have it. (Mattie Talley Johnston, March 31st, 1946).

Kind of distressing. A signed copy to a family member, the book meant enough for them to clearly state that they wanted it kept in the family. Nevertheless, at some point, nobody cared anymore and the book ended up landing on my desk.

1 Like

My de morgan book just came in!
My spouse: Oh, that’s nice dear.

1 Like

Imma create the ‘laws of the space lobster’ so I’ll be famous 175 years after I’m dead. Worked for old man augustus so why not me.

Got the DeMorgan book scanned.
Starting to scan another actuarial exam-type text. It’s stamped with the name Ernest C. Ames, who was VP and actuary at Bankers Life in Nebraska.
I probably spend more time than I should looking into the history of the authors and previous owners of the books I’m scanning. But frankly, that’s the most interesting part. Often times the material is interesting as well, but nothing beats the connection with the past of reading about people that were associated with a 100 year old book that’s sitting on my shelf.

2 Likes

Getting closer. Maybe next week to have the first 40-50 online?

I just pinged the SOA. I have a occupation study text from 1967 I have scanned, but at that date it’s still under (C). I hope they give me permission, because the tables are interesting just because they’re old - they contrast with occupations of today.

Also, check out this guy, head medical guy in Indiana in the 1918 flu epidemic: https://www.wrtv.com/news/coronavirus/in-1918-indianapolis-required-masks-during-the-fight-against-the-great-influenza
Why? Because one of the books I scanned, is a mortality study by Met life from 1911-1916, and the copy I own was gifted by Met Life to this guy. The similiarities in the press over this guy, to what we just went through are overwhelming. Closing businesses, mask requirements, people complaining.
And they were right to complain. All those people who had to wear masks back in 1918? They’re all dead! I’m not suggesting anything here, I’m just asking questions.

Digging into that pandemic, it’s kinda cool to see similiarities/contrasts to today. No online, so they did a lot of stuff through the newspapers. Organized stuff, printed weekly sermons, etc.

See, that’s why I find this stuff so interesting. The contents of the books are really interesting to see what things were like back 100-150 years ago, but the books themselves are also very direct connections to individuals from back then.

I also scanned a book from the late 1800’s that was owned by an agent. I did a bit of digging, and I think the agency he worked for is still around today, under a different name. And really weird coincidence, there happens to be a current ebay auction with business cards from this same agent. Totally a sharknado probability. Here’s the auction: 3 Antique Advertising Blotters INSURANCE, H.A. SCHMIDT AGENT, Winona, MN | eBay

4 Likes

Another ‘connection’ that is kind of sad. I have a book inscribed with the following notes (paraphrased):

• from the author to someone
  • "this book was written by my uncle and I want to keep it in the family, so I will it to (someone).
  • "I changed my mind, I will the book to (someone else).

Kinda funny, but also kinda sad. Because 75 years after they wrote it, the book ended up on my desk in Canada. The book was important to someone and wanted it to be important to someone else. In the end though, it likely ended up in an estate sale, sold for pennies, and then went through some bookstores before I bought it. Ah well, at least I appreciate it on their behalf.

2 Likes

Yeah, I often end up with books that have special inscriptions in them… well, I’m enjoying the books, even if the recipients didn’t enjoy them (or, maybe they did but found nobody after them to enjoy them)

Half these books have never been opened before. There’s this weird thing I’ve seen on old books where the pages aren’t cut on the outside edge, so I end up with pages that have to be cut open along the end of the page to access the pages. I just scanned a book yesterday and half the pages were together.

I haven’t gotten books with uncut pages in a while, but yeah, that does still happen.

Books that obviously have never been read… all the time.

Finally launched!
Antique life insurance books.

Well, enough to get started anyway. I haven’t really touched my collection, lots more scanning to do but I got some of the more interesting books online to start.

Yesterday I got in “Mortality statistics of the census 1850” so I’ll likely scan that one next.

4 Likes

Thank you for sharing those books. I am fascinated with how actuarial thought has developed over time.

Just a historic point I found interesting.

John M. McCandlish, F.R.S.E. (author of the book Contributions to the Study of Insurance, Fire and Life, as a Science and an Art) the first president of the Faculty of Actuaries doesn’t have the letters FFA after his name as was used by actuaries of the Faculty because the Faculty was yet to get it’s royal charter. The book was published in 1866 and the Faculty got their royal charter in 1868.

1 Like

Wait til you see the next book I have on tap. Fun ways to die in 1850!
Well maybe more interesting than fun.

2 Likes

I am looking forward to reading more books but I appreciate the current books and it will take me a bit of time to get through the current material.

This book (Contributions to the Study of Insurance, Fire and Life, as a Science and an Art) gives a historical account of the development of fire insurance in Uk from the great fire in 1666. It’s normally easier to get historical information on p&c insurance in the UK if it went through the Lloyds market like marine insurance. It really is a fascinating read.