Mortality trends (non-pandemic)

1 Like

Today is World Suicide Prevention Day

this probably doesn’t surprise anybody, but there have been some bad trends in the U.S., many of which preceded the pandemic. There was a drop in rates in 2020, but rates rose again in 2021.

1 Like

So, if we had suicides by date, this would be a low date?? Or the days/weeks/ months following this date, suicides drop?
Asking for friend, who is on a ledge, and I wish he would step back from it.

Wondering what effect this date has on actually preventing suicides.

I know you probably know this but I’m going to post it anyway:

Help is available

Speak with someone today

988 Suicide and Crisis Lifeline

Hours: Available 24 hours. Languages: English, Spanish.

SMS: 988

Also, https://988lifeline.org

Alright, thank you.
And, RNN.

Correct. Also, any mention of suicide should always be taken seriously.

Just today, or every day?
Again, friend.

Probably every day, but I haven’t examined every day that there is and am still working on my proof by induction.

So, to take the question seriously:

• If I worked really hard at it (as in, bugging the CDC and I could probably make it work using my connections), I could probably get access to the detailed death data – HOWEVER
  • the standard access just gives me data weekly in the provisional database and monthly in the historical database

Let me just show you the long-term trend of the age-adjusted mortality rate:

My take: they’ve really sucked at preventing suicide

What ages are driving this? Well, Age 20-24 has a nasty trend

That was the worst trend among the age groups I looked at.

Working age showed an odd trend in the pandemic:

Old ages showed an increasing trend in general, but not as bad as age 20-24, and it’s actually better than in some earlier years:

I think we need a whole month for this (yes, I’m serious, because a single day doesn’t do shit, unless it’s National Ice Cream day or National Burrito Day, in which I bet there are data that show an actual uptick in the consumption of such things (cuz free or discounted), and people have motivation).
Might require a colored ribbon. Is “white” being used?

If people want to die, let them die.

Look, we’re all going to die… eventually

There’s no need to rush it

1 Like

Obviously for some people there’s a real need to rush it. You can’t really say suicides are not necessary under any circumstances. Contrary to popular (/r) belief, suicide is not some adrenaline/dopamine fill. It’s scary, daunting, un-reassuring and extremely painful. It’s usually the last resort for most people, and even then, most people fail to have the courage to do it.

Those who succeed at it, kudos to them.

Uh, huh. Slow clap there.

1 Like

Putting this here, because it will absolutely be a factor in U.S. mortality:

:face_with_symbols_over_mouth:

Well, this may explain the huge OD increase in 2020-2021

Most nitazene-involved deaths in Tennessee were identified in Knox County. This apparent high prevalence is most likely because Knox County’s Regional Forensic Center sends blood samples for secondary laboratory testing to the Drug Enforcement Agency (DEA) (5); traditional laboratory panels do not always capture nitazenes. Therefore, nitazene-involved deaths that occur in other counties of Tennessee are likely to be undercounted. DEA provides laboratory testing as a free resource and encourages state and national forensic centers to submit their samples for additional testing to assist in the accurate counting of deaths and to better guide drug overdose prevention efforts.

Naloxone was only administered to 12 (23%) persons with nitazene-involved fatal overdoses. Given naloxone’s effectiveness in preventing fatal overdoses, more frequent administration of naloxone by first responders, bystanders, and clinicians is important. Implementing naloxone training and distribution efforts throughout all states is also necessary. As with fentanyl, multiple naloxone doses might be required because of the potency of nitazene† and can be safely administered. In addition, contacting emergency services is necessary to provide immediate medical attention to persons who might be overdosing.

The war on drugs needs to end for us to have an honest discussion about drugs. Right now parents/teachers/adults just tell kids to don’t do drugs. That’s about as useful as telling them not to have sex.

Your kids will be doing drugs. You can only hope that they are smart enough to know the source of the drugs, and don’t do it off a strangers’ key, or take a pill from someone they just met at Coachella.
It’s best if they are able to test the drugs. Test kits are sold on Amazon. And every major music festival events usually have drug test booths.
INFORM your kids.

And, don’t be the FIRST person to do a new drug. Watch and observe. If you’re buying blow from a dealer, give them a free bump first.

1 Like

Yikes. :cry:

Reading crap from Contingencies, etc. about how it’s supposedly oxy, etc.

Look, when it’s 25-year-olds ODing, I highly doubt it’s because middle-aged folks like me can’t get painkillers because we have chronic pain or hurt b/c we’re old. My neighbor’s 20-something son didn’t get hooked on heroin laced w/ fentanyl and then OD because he had had surgery due to a work injury, ffs.

Guys, the oxy problem was a while back, and fentanyl is the problem that replaced it, and now, potentially, we have more synthetics.

Originally it was opium, then morphine, then heroin… and now we’ve got this stuff. I’ve got a chronic pain problem with no effective meds, and then others have this that kills them. Beautiful.

2 Likes

Yes, I feel your pain… literally. It is way too absurdly difficult to get narcotics these days. I’m scared that someday I will have to turn to fentanyl due for my chronic pain due to my inability to get safe effective narcotics.

Lucy suggested marijuana, and CBD oil does help a lot, but I’m unclear on the legality … especially when it comes to taking it across state lines.

It’s also a lot more expensive than generic hydrocodone.

I can hook you up.

I kid. You can just go to Mexico. Most everything is OTC there.