Mortality trends (non-pandemic)

Okay, I went back to the earlier article:

and “actuarial” was described as this:

I then calculated each wrestler’s chances of dying between the ages of 25 (roughly around when his or her career may have started) and however old he or she is/would be in 2014, using actuarial tables from the Social Security Administration. Because health technology has improved significantly, I used a 1990 actuarial table to cover years before 2000, a 2000 table to cover years 2000 to 2009, and a 2010 table to cover 2010 to the present.

This is what they calculated:

I am thinking they used calendar year mortality, male, and no big problem there.

HOWEVER, there are some issues.

This was the methodology:

I collected biographical information (including date of birth and date of death, if applicable) from the Internet Wrestling Database on all WWF wrestlers who are/would be younger than 60 in 2014, and who had at least 20 pay-per-view appearances between WrestleMania I in 1985 and the time the WWF was forced to change its name by the World Wildlife Fund in 2002 — for 203 in all.

There were 203 people in this sample, of which a total of 31 had died. I would put some error bars around stuff, just saying.

3 Likes

I don’t work in life insurance. The total is a bit confusing. I would assume (from the numbers given) one has a 90% chance of making it from 35 to 40, 84% chance from 40 to 45 etc. Ultimately giving a 44.7% chance of making it to age 60 (or 55.3% chance of dying by 60).

Sample size is too small to really make any conclusions.

How are they counting life years for the wrestlers?

When it says that 1 in 10 age 35-40 died… is that 10 wrestlers or 10 life years… which might only be 2 wrestlers?

Offhand it looks like they might be off by a factor of almost 5 on the wrestlers life-years if there were 203 wrestlers.

Ok, nope, looked at this some more. He’s just saying the chance of dying at any point in the 5 year range.

So the 35-40 really means the probability that a 35 year-old will die before turning 40. 5Q35 I guess.

So I dunno how he’s weighting the “actuarial” across the years. Using the 2020 Social Security table the male Dxs for 35 and 40 are 95,817 and 94,422.

Which, if I remember Course 3 material, means 5Q35 = 1.4559%. But if he’s somehow weighting that with older tables… dunno. Maybe 1.91% is right.

This is pandemic (and non-pandemic) – I’m speaking next week:

Yeah, I know they didn’t put the schedule up yet. Whups.

Here’s a preview:

1 Like

I think that would present better if it were shown one line at a time, chronologically.

And, that boomer years are the cause of the drop in percentage differences from peak of 40-44.
Maybe include lives by age group separately?

1 Like

Yeah, I can show this a few different ways.

Let’s try it this way:

I could remove 2019 (it’s 0% of course), and I could remove 2018 as well (it’s just for contrast, to show the “normal” amplitude of year-to-year fluctuations in death rates for an age grouping – +/- 1% change year-to-year is pretty common, but 10% change is huge.)

Stripping out 2018 & 2019

Yuck!

Just saying that during the presentation, the lines could fade in and out chronologically.

Some appropriate background music could really sell it.
“Get me Ludwig Goransson on the phone!”

I do want to focus on the 2023 results… can make the others fade out as new ones come in:

Why are the 2023 differences all over the place? No rhyme or reason? Return to normal randomnesscy? Vaccination rate differences? Data issues?

I’m not going to Iowa to find out, so…

You could also do an animated chart with a single line. Start from 2019 with the flat line and show snapshots every quarter (or month if available) so that it takes around two seconds for each year to pass. If there’s too much volatility you could do a rolling 12 months.

One of the drivers will be people that had health issues under control until 2020 (Pandemic), and they basically were not able to get consistent treatment during the last few years. Those health issues got a lot more serious and they died.

Thats similar to what we are seeing in the UK. Excess mortality is still a bit higher vs pre-2019 trends.

I have a lot of slides to update, but if I’m going to animate one slide, that may be the one.

The reason for the differences… well, there’s the major causes of death, and what’s going on with them, and it doesn’t necessarily take a lot to move the needle at younger ages.

In particular, external causes of death, and drug overdoses and motor vehicle accident deaths, have had a huge increase over the last few years, and haven’t come down that much. Those have a particular age distribution that don’t affect older people so much.

Older people have been affected more by COVID (of course) but also other natural causes of death.

Thanks!

Would it be to simplistic to conclude that without the drug overdose and MV accident increases, difference to 2019 might be around 5%?

This post (not mine) has a few things in it, including birth seasonality.

But just wanted to share for the visualizations of the ICD chapters over ages:

The “special codes” on the bottom is almost all COVID deaths, though some of it is “vaping syndrome”, whatever that is.

There’s a github:

Blood disorder is interesting… guess I gotta watch out for those as I age

Edit: Never mind I am blind. The colors for blood disorder and cardiovascular disease look similar on my tiny phone screen

These are the ICD chapters, which are international, so these chapters have been chosen… internationally. Some are more important as causes of disease/death elsewhere.

I see she decided to order these in ABC order, which is a choice.

I would make other choices myself (I mean, I obviously have), and I prefer showing the total deaths and not merely the percentage of deaths.

colorectal cancer

Something going on with early-onset CRC

(ignore 2021 and old ages, as per earlier)

under age 45 has something going on, though

(it’s level/going down for ages 15-24)

Early-onset colorectal cancer: A review of current knowledge

Feb 2023

abstract:

Abstract

Colorectal cancer (CRC) is one of the most prevalent malignancies worldwide. Although most prevalent among older people, its incidence above 50 years old has been decreasing globally in the last decades, probably as a result of better screening. Paradoxically, its incidence in patients below 50 years old [early-onset CRC (EO-CRC)] has been increasing, for reasons not yet fully understood. EO-CRC’s increasing incidence is genre independent but shows racial disparities and has been described to occur worldwide. It follows a birth-cohort effect which probably reflects a change in exposure to CRC risk factors. Its incidence is predicted to double until 2030, which makes EO-CRC a serious public health issue. Both modifiable and non-modifiable risk factors have been identified - some are potential targets for preventive measures. EO-CRC is often diagnosed at advanced stages and histological features associated with poor prognosis have been described. EO-CRC presents some distinctive features: Microsatellite in-stability is common, but another subtype of tumours, both microsatellite and chromosome stable also seems relevant. There are no age-specific treatment protocols and studies on EO-CRC survival rates have shown conflicting data. Due to the higher germline pathological mutations found in EO-CRC patients, an accurate genetic risk evaluation should be performed. In this review, we summarize the current evidence on epidemiological, clinical, histopathological and molecular features of EO-CRC and discuss the contribution of genetics and lifestyle risk factors. We further comment on screening strategies and specific dimensions to consider when dealing with a younger cancer patient.

On falls

5 Likes