Masks

One thing about flying around the holidays, when all of the amateurs flood the airports:. I see more people wearing masks than I have in a while…and not all of the masked-wearers are geezerish like me.

1 Like

You do see a lot more amateurs flying this time of year. Also, I imagine some people that might not normally wear masks will do so when traveling for the holidays. They don’t mind taking a little personal risk normally, but don’t want to be the one that brought COVID to the family gathering and infected grandma and grandpa.

Just flew internationally, intended to wear masks and did so in crowds, but so winded running through airports, gave it up in the seats.

I am not an amateur, and I do tend to wear a mask in airports more than anywhere else

When we flew from Burbank to Seattle a few days ago it was probably 1/3 or so masked. More than expected, less than ideal.

Whats an amateur? I always wear a mask when i fly. Im not sure it has much to do with how often you fly.

to me, amateurs are the people who don’t know what to take off and what to leave on when going through security. What to keep out and what to stow away and take forever doing it.

But, yes, nothing to do with masks

1 Like

The airports arent always consistent with that. Lga rarely makes me remove laptops from my carry-on but other airports do make me remove them. I carry 2 laptops when traveling so its a pita to have to remove them and appreciate that about lga.

recent trip to FL, maybe 5% of people on the plane wearing masks. while in FL, wouldnt know there ever was a pandemic. similar % for people in the airport.

TSAs are back to their cheerful selves…

Flu seems to be coming back strong this year. I know like 5 people with the flu right now.

Amateur = folks who fly maybe one round-trip a year, who gum up the works at security, don’t understand and observe the unwritten rules of air travel and airport conduct, etc.

I am waiting for an onward flight at ATL at the moment. I’ve seen people randomly stopping in the middle of the concourse walkway to discuss lunch…a couple of kids stopping to throw tantrums… and multiple people running into others because they were paying attention to their phones, rather than the crowds.

A surprising number of these folks were wearing masks (although, not surprisingly, a lower proportion than at BDL).

Excitement of the layover – one older lady dozed off. She is traveling with a small dog, who just wandered off…

I think I’m going to have to suggest to my wife that we reschedule Christmas if she wants me to do the holiday with her family, now that I’m an orphan. Holiday travel sucks. I got my aunt and cousin to agree to observe Thanksgiving on a Canadian schedule; I wonder how the in-laws would feel about using an Orthodox calendar for Christmas.

It sounds like holiday travel this year might be a disaster due to weather issues throughout the US. I traveled yesterday thankfully when the weather was good

1 Like

Be careful how you phrase it. This morning I asked my Russian cleaning lady if she celebrated Christmas on the Orthodox or western date. She said both and she thinks that’s pretty common. You might accidentally add an additional holiday to your calendar. :woman_shrugging:

1 Like

My in-laws live in a part of the world that divides the religious world into:

• Baptists
  • Black Baptists
  • Pentecostals and Charismatics
  • Catholics
  • Devil worshippers

Back when I lived in this part of the country, there wouldn’t have been much distinction between the last two groups; however I think with exposure via internet and an increased number of farm workers of Mexican descent in the area, they see some difference.

I’m not too concerned about my in laws being familiar with de facto Orthodox traditions. :slight_smile:

So as a Presbyterian does that put me in the last category?

Conservative Protestants, regardless of denomination, would be considered Baptist or Black Baptist, as appropriate. The stuff that happens above the local church level isn’t much thought about, as long as it fits within local social norms (or, I suppose, as long as it doesn’t draw negative headlines on Fox News.).

Liberal Protestants, on the other hand…

As a socially liberal Libertarian, who is comfortable worshipping in liberal Anglican/Episcopalian or rational neopagan settings…this was in some respects an EXTREMELY uncomfortable part of the world to live, back when I was exiled here.

Interesting. So the politics matters more than the religious beliefs?

My (arguably cynical) interpretation is that it’s not so much about dogma and faith as it is apparent/public adherence to local/regional social norms, which include supporting the social constructs revolving around particular churches, and which preachers are supposed to promote on Sunday mornings, Wednesday evenings, and the occasional revival.

It’s not quite as bad around here as it was when I lived in the area a few decades ago…but it is still an uncomfortable place to be if you don’t fit in with the local norms.

A few Covid masking questions.

Do you still wear a mask in non-compulsory situations? If yes, do you think you’ll ever stop wearing them?

For the men with beards, did you shave it off for mask wearing?

Edit: forgot to post my answers - no and no

I do still wear a mask in many places where it’s not required.

No, i doubt I’ll ever stop doing that, although i may wear them less commonly at some point. But i expect to wear masks on public transit for the rest of my life, for example. Why not? Each use of a mask costs pennies. I really like not catching the flu. I’m still anxious about covid. I don’t especially mind wearing a mask.

I still prefer to wear masks, but I only do so when I won’t stand out for wearing one.

For the most part, that means that I’m masked in public transportation and medical environments. I don’t wear a mask in the office. I don’t go too many other places.

I like how I’m no longer developing some kind of minor crud after most plane trips, as was the case back in the Before Time. My wife also seems to appreciate not frequently developing something worse from the minor crud I developed after most plane trips.

This depends a lot on how close others are to me, and if i know where they’ve been. Just simple science helping me decide. My wife has relatives who are compromised, and i dont want to assist in killing them.