Masks

I guess I was thinking the majority of kids hospitalized with RSV — those not exposed prior to Covid — would be under school age. It’s not usually something I hear about with older kids. How many babies got Covid & the parents actually knew it? (The ones I heard about were newborns who got it IN the hospital. But again, anecdotal.)

Incidentally my circle has lots of people who don’t have school aged kids at home and many of them got Covid—obviously none from their kids.

Still, an ASSumption and I should check that.

Once the daycares were open, I think babies older than 6 weeks and certainly toddlers & preschoolers were getting exposed.

Exposed to Covid? RSV? Those babies weren’t masked so…

If most babies were in daycare and therefore exposed to normal illnesses then we need to rethink the reason for the decline (during Covid) and surge (now) of RSV.

So you are thinking that if they had Covid they have a worse case of RSV? Did most people test their infants for Covid if all they had was mild symptoms? If not, how would we know?

(*I did look up the fact that most RSV hospitalizations are in the under 5 set. It seems like the younger they are when they get it the more likely they are to be hospitalized.)

I don’t know about RSV specifically, but it does seem like generally being recovered from Covid makes you more susceptible to other crap (compared to never having had Covid).

And I dispute the notion that most kids haven’t had Covid. Two years ago that may have been true, but I don’t think it is now.

1 Like

That could be true; we just don’t know since they may have not had symptoms. And viruses like RSV have always caused problems for some kids.

I thought about 75% of kids have had COVID.

1 Like

IFYP

Correct. Back in April the CDC estimated that 75% of children and adolescents had had Covid. While we don’t know for certain, I’m willing to assume that’s a reasonable estimate.
https://publications.aap.org/aapnews/news/20170?autologincheck=redirected?nfToken=00000000-0000-0000-0000-000000000000

One thing about flying around the holidays, when all of the amateurs flood the airports:. I see more people wearing masks than I have in a while…and not all of the masked-wearers are geezerish like me.

1 Like

You do see a lot more amateurs flying this time of year. Also, I imagine some people that might not normally wear masks will do so when traveling for the holidays. They don’t mind taking a little personal risk normally, but don’t want to be the one that brought COVID to the family gathering and infected grandma and grandpa.

Just flew internationally, intended to wear masks and did so in crowds, but so winded running through airports, gave it up in the seats.

I am not an amateur, and I do tend to wear a mask in airports more than anywhere else

When we flew from Burbank to Seattle a few days ago it was probably 1/3 or so masked. More than expected, less than ideal.

Whats an amateur? I always wear a mask when i fly. Im not sure it has much to do with how often you fly.

to me, amateurs are the people who don’t know what to take off and what to leave on when going through security. What to keep out and what to stow away and take forever doing it.

But, yes, nothing to do with masks

1 Like

The airports arent always consistent with that. Lga rarely makes me remove laptops from my carry-on but other airports do make me remove them. I carry 2 laptops when traveling so its a pita to have to remove them and appreciate that about lga.

recent trip to FL, maybe 5% of people on the plane wearing masks. while in FL, wouldnt know there ever was a pandemic. similar % for people in the airport.

TSAs are back to their cheerful selves…

Flu seems to be coming back strong this year. I know like 5 people with the flu right now.

Amateur = folks who fly maybe one round-trip a year, who gum up the works at security, don’t understand and observe the unwritten rules of air travel and airport conduct, etc.

I am waiting for an onward flight at ATL at the moment. I’ve seen people randomly stopping in the middle of the concourse walkway to discuss lunch…a couple of kids stopping to throw tantrums… and multiple people running into others because they were paying attention to their phones, rather than the crowds.

A surprising number of these folks were wearing masks (although, not surprisingly, a lower proportion than at BDL).

Excitement of the layover – one older lady dozed off. She is traveling with a small dog, who just wandered off…

I think I’m going to have to suggest to my wife that we reschedule Christmas if she wants me to do the holiday with her family, now that I’m an orphan. Holiday travel sucks. I got my aunt and cousin to agree to observe Thanksgiving on a Canadian schedule; I wonder how the in-laws would feel about using an Orthodox calendar for Christmas.

It sounds like holiday travel this year might be a disaster due to weather issues throughout the US. I traveled yesterday thankfully when the weather was good

1 Like

Be careful how you phrase it. This morning I asked my Russian cleaning lady if she celebrated Christmas on the Orthodox or western date. She said both and she thinks that’s pretty common. You might accidentally add an additional holiday to your calendar. :woman_shrugging:

1 Like

My in-laws live in a part of the world that divides the religious world into:

• Baptists
  • Black Baptists
  • Pentecostals and Charismatics
  • Catholics
  • Devil worshippers

Back when I lived in this part of the country, there wouldn’t have been much distinction between the last two groups; however I think with exposure via internet and an increased number of farm workers of Mexican descent in the area, they see some difference.

I’m not too concerned about my in laws being familiar with de facto Orthodox traditions. :slight_smile: