Mary Lou Retton "Fighting for Life"

IT’S NOT GRIFTING!

It’s … having other Americans transfer money out of their pockets into the pockets of someone who has considerably more assets and has lived a significantly more comfortable life, because she decided to forego the security of health insurance at some cost and the kids don’t want to liquidate any of those assets and thereby lose out on any potential inheritance.

Also: this is not the time to lecture about “taking personal responsibility” because this isn’t some non-white woman on welfare.

4 Likes

Well, she is from West Virginia. Hard to shake that disease.

“prayers answered”

$400K in prayers received. good gravy

1 Like

Why, yes - because God isn’t particularly interested in your prayers to help kids in abject poverty, crime-ridden areas or disease-plagued locations. He’s only interested in the prayers that help upper-class white females in already wealthy nations who have medical conditions that are curable and might have been misdiagnosed and/or mistreated in the first place, who simply don’t want to shell out a few of their dollars to obtain protection from the cost of medical treatment.

I may have to dig out an appropriate song for my thoughts.

Whoa this thread got pretty dark.

You must be new here.

1 Like

And this is why we should have universal healthcare. Because people are short-sighted, and almost no one can afford an expensive medical problem.

1 Like

Almost thought I was reading Reddit posts.

that’s the argument i’ve shared with others - you can’t opt out of the hospital system. someone finds you, they call 911, you get brought in and the meter is running. so while a person can choose to opt out of property insurance or whatever, at some point you can be in the health system involuntarily.

1 Like

Mary Lou Retton called out on “mental gymnastics” for going uninsured

She wasn’t called out strongly enough

I didn’t realize the folks in the non-expansion states who are below the 138% threshold don’t qualify for Obamacare subsidies. Ouch.

If her income was in that range I assume she could still buy an Obamacare plan at full price, but yikes.

Seems like she didn’t even try to buy a plan because she claimed preexisting conditions meant it wasn’t possible for her.

1 Like

Yeah, that claim should be widely and thoroughly debunked. This is a good platform to get the word out to other misinformed folks.

title should say “grifting for life”. or “being stubbornly ignorant for life”

2 Likes

Gold medal grifting?

2 Likes