March madness

I need Loyola to win by at least 5, so no sentiment here. Go fighting nuns!

Forgot to enter the Take 9 challenge…bummer. Fun first day of the tourney though.

You can still enter the March Madness 2021 (a.k.a the annual Rock-Paper-Scissors tournament), though!

Yeah, I don’t understand why that isn’t automatic at this point, given that, AFAIK, they’re the only team with any restriction like this that the schedulers pay attention to.

So the defending national champions were taken out in the first round by a #13 seed. Has that ever happened before?

Or I guess more precisely, what’s the lowest seed to ever take down a national champion in the first round?

One of my friends told me that Miami of Ohio defeated defending champion Marquette in the first round in the 70s, but I’m not sure of the seeds.

Granted, UVA is in a little different category than most defending champions, given that the 2020 tournament didn’t happen.

The defending champion has not qualified for the next year’s tournament at least five different times.

:astonished:

Wow! That is an interesting bit of trivia that I did not know. Of course there is much I do not know about the tourney.

Lotta turnover in College BB, especially in the era of one and done.

2 Likes

50% of the games yesterday were won by the lower seeded team, including a 15, 12,11 and 8.

Here is a fun article about 29 things that have never happened in the tournament. My favorite and least?

BYU holds the record for most appearances in the tournament without reaching the final 4.

Nebraska being the only team from a P5 conference to never win a game in the big dance.

I’m sure you can figure out which is which.

1 Like

And Rutgers and Texas Tech were so close at the end to making it 75% lower seed wins…

Michigan and Maryland have to be getting quite nervous. B1G had the most teams in the tournament (9) and are down to 2 possible teams getting to the Sweet Sixteen. WOW.

And now Michigan is the lone representative of the vaunted B1G.

Semi regretting making a B1G Rules bracket instead of a B1G Drools bracket, and this is why I don’t do $ pools anymore

1 Like

I guess with no teams east of the Mississippi, interest has dropped off the cliff?

Well, really everywhere except Texas and LA, and even then do Baylor and UofH have much of a following even in Texas?

Not a lot of actuaries in Spokane. Go Zags!

By far the biggest CBB news story this week in Texas is Chris Beard moving from Texas Tech to Texas Longhorns, so I’d guess not really.

Ok, finally watched a game.
Pretty exciting!

Well done, Stanford. I was hoping that Arizona might be able to pull off an upset because Aari McDonald was so exciting to watch but it’s amazing that Vanderveer could hang around all these years to win after a 29 year wait.
Go Zags!

The UCLA/Zaga game Saturday night was an epic. Probably one of the best games with big time teams since the final in 2017. Suggs really played out of his mind for the last 8-9 minutes of that game.

1 Like