Lisa Montgomery

Uhhh whoa, man. That’s quite the comparison. Mental illness does not make death acceptable or merciful. If anything, it makes an execution only that much crueler.

It doesn’t. But if she poses a danger to other people, society doesn’t owe her a life time of isolated care. The choices are: we banish her, or execute her. I realize how cruel that sounds, but mental illness can only be tolerated when it doesn’t pose a threat to other people.

yes, society DOES owe her that. they entirely failed to protect her as an innocent child.

Lisa is probably more of a victim than the woman she killed and cut the baby out of.

Society contributes to untreated mental illness. And it sounds that she was certainly failed in this case.

There are thousands of people in prison for life who are too much of a danger to others. They cannot be released. Should they too be executed?

The only reason she got the death penalty is because her lawyer sucked. others have committed heinous crimes who were mentally ill and weren’t sentenced to death. better lawyers. her childhood trauma was glossed over during the trial. for some dumb reason her lawyers thought that info would make it worse for her case. makes no sense.

this is a better article

Lisa Montgomery’s Sister on Her Federal Execution: ‘She Shouldn’t Have to Die’ (elle.com)

Depends on what society is willing to do I suppose. If we cannot spare extra resources, then yes, society does not owe them any resources for the continuity of their life.

That said, we probably do have enough resources to keep the unrehabilitatable people alive, so I won’t say my view is the correct one. I personally do not have the belief that life is the ultimate blessing. I feel like life imprisonment is worse than the death penalty, but to each their own.

If prison is so much worse than the death penalty, why do people on death row have lawyers to fight for them to get life in prison? They dont want to die.

Also, what would you expect a child who is beaten and gang raped and prostituted by her parents to become in life? She had no chance and nobody stuck up for her until it was too late. I disagree. We do owe it to her to house her in prison if she couldnt be rehabilitated. Society failed her as a child horrifically.

I’m sure no one wants to die. But I’m sure they can’t control their desire to kill either.

Society did not force the tragedy on her. If my neighbor burned my house down, society does not owe me a house. It’ll certainly be nice if society helped me rebuild, but if society does not have the resources to do so, who am I to ask or demand? And even that is not a good example, because my lack of a house does not affect other people. If I become a serial killer through no fault of my own, it’s not the fault of society either, so why should society be obligated to help me?

Me too, especially as Trump is just throwing people into it left and right that have been on death row forever. It’s weird and sadistic. It’s like someone hurting an animal because they can.

Some of them, yes. I realize, they got life in prison to avoid a death penalty trial, help find the remains of victims, etc. And yes, I realize we can’t bait-and-switch them now that we’ve got what we wanted.

But if they got off’d prematurely I wouldn’t lose sleep over it.

[Monty Python]
It’s a fair cop, but society is to blame.

Right, we’ll arrest them instead!
[/Monty Python]

Ideally, we’d round up every person who made her life a living hell and hold them fully accountable. Well, really ideally none of this shit would ever happen but it’s 2021, it’s still happening somewhere more often than we want to admit and we still don’t put nearly enough effort into stamping it out for good.

Her case is such a gray area. It’s not like say Ronald Gene Simmons who up and decided one day “you know what, I’m going to kill my family” and wiped out everyone - wife, kids, kids spouses, grandkids - because … no real reason, he just felt like it. No mental illness, no I was mistreated as a kid or I was traumatized from my time in ______ claims, he was just a fucking asshole. It’s not Ronald Gray who grew up in poverty and apparently watched his mom get mistreated, but then got older and enlisted in the Army and went on a killing spree and he’s spent 32 years on death row lobbing all kinds of bullshit appeals when the government isn’t standing around with both hands up its ass, and they should have put a bullet in his brain long ago. It’s not other pretty clear-cut, yeah the sonofabitch is guilty as fuck, no there’s no bullshit where they claim something in the past caused it, yeah they’re just an asshole and using Ol’ Sparky is still probably being way too nice.

I do think it’s troubling that this SCOTUS has effectively set precedent now that says if you’re too mentally ill to be tried, we need to deal with that before we can put you on trial - but if the death penalty applies, we can kill you no matter how mentally ill you are because … fuck you.

What are the demographics of the people on death row?

Capital punishment is a punishment for the poor and minorities.

(Sorry I don’t think I meant to respond to you directly; this was meant as a general response.)

Yes it is the fault of society. Child welfare should have protected her. There were definite signs that she was abused that were entirely ignored by authority figures when she was a child and unable to protect herself. So yes now they owe it to her to house her in life in prison. Yes I agree she likely would kill again in society, which is why there is life in prison.

If someone burns down your house hopefully you have insurance for that. A 4 year old child cant do shit to protect themselves.

Oh I’m sure. The wealthy get off for dumb shit like the glove doesn’t fit, you must acquit

Someone like lisa Montgomery, her brain was broken directly because society failed her as a child. The house analogy is dumb.

You could say the same thing about the prison population and the justice system in general.

Most of them are likely dead at this point, and she should have been protected when she was 4. It is too late now.

I’m not following. People do need to be in prison if they are a danger to society. They dont need to be put to death