Keeping Track of "Cancellations" of All Things Russian

First up, Tchaikovsky’s 1812 Overture

Next, a class on Dostoevsky

They back-tracked, re-instating the class

But then they asked him to include material on Ukrainian authors… and he isn’t an expert on Ukrainian lit. His thing is Dostoevsky. Which he was going to exclusively lecture about. So he is taking his lectures to a different school.

This isn’t Russian, and I posted this in a different thread, but I guess it fits in with the stupidity

2 Likes

Nintendo should be prosecuted for still allowing Little Mac to fight Soda Popinski imo

Can’t wait for all the Chinese cancellations. Set us right back to stone age.

2 Likes

Can I continue to play Tetris?

1 Like

Guarantee my hometown is not cancelling pizza with Russian dressing. More likely to show support for Russia to pwn the libs.

Just change the name to 1000 Island and it’s all good.

Can we just cancel your hometown?

3 Likes

Is this a real thing?

You give some people way too much credit.

Typically it’s a supreme-type pizza with dressing on the side. But yes, you can add it as a topping - and yes, there are people there who do it because they think it’s good. Which is part of the reason why …

I have. I encourage others to do it.

3 Likes

They’re … not the same thing though. Russian dressing doesn’t have the “islands” (aka pickles) that 1000 island does.

1 Like

Well, both of them are gross.

That said, I doubt people are going to start calling it Freedom Dressing.

Some of this stuff is just plain ridiculous.

FWIW, I’m trying to keep this thread to the stupid cancellations, not stuff like cutting Russia off from the financial system, internet, etc.

Yesterday, John Lee aka @Actuarial_Tutor (howdy John) quipped:

Some overly earnest person decided that it was imperative that all things Russian must be cancelled (I am not linking, but you will be able to find it when I link my reply)

Anyway, it’s not like I love Putin or anything. I love Dostoevsky, Shostakovich, etc. and I plan on continuing to use Markov models and Kolmogorov inequalities, etc. The guy being an asshole in the thread doesn’t even know what John & I were talking about.

People are dying! Something must be done to show hatred of all things Russia! This is something! We must do it! Down with Russian dressing!

1 Like

I am ok with cancelling markov chains. Still butthurt over getting wrecked on an exam question.

2 Likes

Don’t forget the Kolmogorov Smirnov goodness of fit test. There are plenty of other tests that could replace it.

1 Like

As long as I can still play Rimsky-Korsakov’s Flight of the Bumblebee it’s all good.

Why do you hate Ukraine?

I second canceling markov chains

It’s OK I’d renamed it the K-S test because who has time for that spelling

Smirnov’s son was one of my professors