Job opportunities 2 hours away by car/train?

Nowadays seems out-of-touch to commute 4 hours a day for work.

I need time to mind about it. They have taken time to formulate a final offer, in the meantime asking to mind about the job opportunity.

I will let you know in any case.

Thank you all for your support!

Yeah, over the years, almost ALL of my study hours were on my commute. I also had to commute 90 minutes (by train) to college which is how I kept a 4.0 in my math major and passed the prelims in one year without studying at home :wink:

1 Like

Brilliant!
If I switch for this job I have to wake up at 6 in the morning. As you worked for 15 years 2 hours away from home, I assume you were used to my time schedules.
At the beginning, were you already used to it? Did you get used to it soon?

Yes, right. Thank you (Y)

I don’t think you should use other people’s experiences as similar to your own.
We can only help you see additional costs that you might not be aware of.
(And, additional costs should require additional compensation.)

YOU have to determine for yourself if four hours not doing what you want (and the mode of commute will weigh in – driving means not studying but train/bus might allow studying, but COVID risk) is worth: 1) the rest of your free time with your gf in your current city; 2) the difference in work; and 3) the compensation.

Most of us would hate that trade. You seem to be on the fence, and this is why you’re asking, I understand that.
Also weigh in: that’s four hours per day NOT with your gf, 20 hours a week. Equivalent to almost 42 days a year. As noted, she is one major reason to stay in your current city.
Also weigh in: your employer will know what you’re doing and might consider you exploitable. I mean, more so.

So, three things I (who is different from you) would do in this situation:

1. Find out how much it would cost to rent a room in the new city.
  2. Try to negotiate a 4/10 (work four days at 10 hours per day get one day off per week) or 9/9 (work nine hours for nine days, get one day off every two weeks) work schedule.
  3. See if your gf can find a job in the new city. Not right away, but over time.
2 Likes

I have asked for as many WFH days a week as I can. Still waiting for a reply.

I will WFH until the pandemic emergency decreases.

I already have a “wealthy” salary with my current employer (given my role - that means an average salary in general terms) so the compensation will not raise adequately in any case.

I am willing to change job just for its opportunities.

OK, you’ve pretty much made your decision, so congratulations!

So, now you just want to know how much of a burden this will be? A lot! That’s my personal opinion.

Also, what opportunities? More work for similar pay (unless you can get all that done in the same amount of time you work now, which would be awesome)?

“Opportunities” to me, means a lot more compensation, either now (not happening in your case) or later (a lot harder to determine), especially if it entails more work AND fours per day lost in my life. But, again, that’s how I would look at this. I like my personal time.
Long time ago, I worked with someone who did this. He lived on one side of Los Angeles and the office was on the other side. It took him two hours each way to drive (no public transportation). He could save a half hour if he woke up a little earlier or stayed a lot later. Sometimes he just slept in his car in the parking lot. He did it for a year until he found a job downtown, so only an hour commute on a train.

1 Like

Thank you. I will mind about it. I let you know my final decision. Again, it means a lot your words for me.

1 Like

You’re welcome.

1 Like

I have never been, and never will be, a morning person :wink:

My natural inclination when I don’t have to get up early is to stay up til 2 am-3 am and sleep in til 11 am-noon.

If I didn’t have a wife who was a morning person and didn’t have a 9-5 job, I’d probably go to bed closer to dawn.

3 Likes

i find the same pattern. wfh, the laptop is always on. office days, it gets shut down and is in the bag. no glowing reminder from the desk that I could easily clear emails (or other light work). the house always wins these tradeoffs I figure.

2 Likes

My commute to work for twenty five years (in the 'po) at numerous jobs has always been twenty minutes or less. I doubt I would tolerate much more than that unless I found myself in some unexpected temporary job circumstances.

I usually leave for work at 6:45 when I have to go in, and I am home by 3:30-3:45.

1 Like

Seems perfect! Do you work in an Insurance Carrier or in consulting?