IRS fun

sounds lib

He would describe himself as such.

This year, I get the joys of figuring out how to (correctly) fill out Form 1041 for trust funds.

Assuming I don’t do it wrong it’s not too complicated, just has it’s own income table and you pay tax accordingly. Although things get more complicated if you take assets out.

I think I’m undertaxed and I’ve in just in mid 6 figures, not 8, lol.

Guy is way undervaluing his time.

1 Like

I’d almost agree . . . but this seems to be where they’ll get you.

FTR, the trust I’m working with is an irrevocable trust that I’m doing the initial filing for; I just want to get the initial filing done right to avoid “corrective changes” later on (where I’m guessing it’ll get flagged for review).

At the moment, there aren’t any assets in the trust, so I’m not worried about “the numbers” . . . but wanting to make sure I also understand those other aspects (like disbursements) to make sure that I can set up the accounts effectively to help with keeping track of things a bit easier.

My initial read of the instructions indicate that creating (and sending) Form K (or was it schedule K?) to the recipient of any disbursements for their taxes.

Oh that’s interesting if there aren’t yet assets. Mine is similarly an irrevocable trust. I file the federal every year but I don’t believe the state return is required because it falls below the minimum income. My federal filing is very simple, just dividend income at the top, then have to do a bit of calculations on this worksheet/exhibit which results in the tax bill.

I’ve never removed assets but when my sister did it was a lot more complicated I believe, although she has an accountant do it each year.

1 Like

I suppose this is more effective than sending them a strongly letter. At least this guarantees it will be read

I think you accidentally the whole thing.

1 Like

:upside_down_face:

1 Like

By filing paper tax returns instead of e-filing?

I’m getting better with the software now but when I was new to VITA and also working on a slow internet connection I was apologizing to my taxpayers saying things like “If I was allowed to paper file your return we’d be done already, but it’s not allowed”. Internet at the site is better now and I know the software better so that’s maybe no longer true, but it’s debatable. Certainly depends on what all is going on with the tax return.

And certainly if you use the software to input everything and then print the return out at the end that takes the same amount of time … maybe even a little faster, depending on the speed of the printer. Then it’s just a question of calculating the postage and getting it to the mailbox.

So I don’t do trust tax returns, but I occasionally get a taxpayer with a K-1.

My understanding is that if the income was disbursed to the beneficiaries then it is taxable to the beneficiaries (reported on a K-1).

But if the income was not disbursed to the beneficiaries then the trust pays the tax on the income.

And I don’t think the IRS particularly checks if you do it wrong so long as the tax is getting paid somewhere. That is to say… if it should be paid by the trust and is actually paid by the beneficiaries, or vice versa, the IRS doesn’t appear to care.

I went back to doing my taxes by hand again. I think I did it all in about 4 hours but to be fair I’ve done them many times. Hopefully the IRS (or the USPS) won’t lose them this time. Getting about $2,500 - $3,000 back.

More like, if I have >$10M in assets, I’m not sitting down to do my own taxes. I’ll chuck $200 at a professional at that point.

Having perhaps $350k myself, I am doing my own for sure.

Meh… if you’ve got all your W2s and 1099s and other inputs and you know what to do, throwing the numbers onto the forms is pretty easy.

It does depend on how complicated they are. If you’ve got rental properties, or a small business, or you did a 1031 exchange on a REIT, or you’re married and/or had more than one job and your wages are in Additional Medicare territory, or you deal in cryptocurrency, or you exercised stock options, or something else complicated and you’re not sure what to do, or even anything not complicated where you don’t know what to do, sure, by all means, consult a professional.

But if it’s just copying numbers from these forms to those forms and you know what you’re doing… meh. It would take more time to deal with the professional than to just take care of it.

TaxSlayer does what I need for filing taxes.

The $45 (more or less) covers the costs to file electronically both federal and state taxes.

Sure but if you particularly wanted to mess with the feds you could just as easily print out the forms and paper file.

That’s a weird goal to have, admittedly, but I doubt it’s costing much in terms of time.

If I’m getting a refund . . . then that time is my money.

True. The richer you are the less likely you are to have a refund though. You’re especially unlikely to have a refund that you actually receive and are not simply applying to next year’s estimates. Because you probably have enough investment income that doesn’t have tax withheld that you are usually required to make estimated payments.

So it’s probably not costing him that either. And maybe the year it does then he wouldn’t paper file that year. Or maybe he’s so rich he doesn’t care.

If it was $200 I’d probably use a professional. I used to have one and it was more like $400-500, although he often gave us money off for new child or marriage (and it was a relatively busy time in my life for that stuff). If you had >10m in assets I think you’d be looking in the multiple thousands for an accountant, unless your income was simple.