Insurance - do you get what you pay for?

except for USAA, which has always been miles ahead of others

Completely true, didnā€™t think to mention since many arenā€™t eligible.

Why must you do this? They just raised my auto rates and while I know it is still probably a better price and better customer service*, I feel the need to look around. These comments make my lazy side say why bother.

*I feel like their customer service, particularly on the banking side, has slipped over the past few years. It seems tied to their advertising push which I noticed about 3-6 months before I started noticing the drop in customer service.

We have USAA because my husband has it from his ex-wife who had it from her fatherā€™s service. We can keep it, but if we leave, we canā€™t come back, so weā€™re never giving that up. Theyā€™ve been pretty great for us, cheaper for auto and home than my own company that provides an associate discount.

I have USAA. Itā€™s been a while since I last comparison shopped, but when I did their auto rates were pretty low compared to the competition. Homeowners was higher than the big guys. I kept the 2 together anyway, along with my umbrella policy.

1 Like

Iā€™m actually shopping insurance now, weā€™ve been with State Farm for a while. So far, Iā€™ve seen two quotes that are higher than what Iā€™m paying now (homeownersā€™ plus three vehicles).

I will say Iā€™ve filed two claims with State Farm (hail damage to car, hail damage to house) and both times I had great service and zero issues getting paid.

/anecdote

I donā€™t believe in insurance. I consider it a form of gambling.

https://comb.io/87btrT