Innumeracy

I wouldn’t count “public” facilities as being part of the free market system, though.

But by golly, my taxes paid for that paper. And I’m going to get my money’s worth. :stuck_out_tongue:

Is it wrong to steal a loaf of bread to feed your starving family???

What a miserable thing to ask.

1 Like

I stole a loaf of bread. My sisters child was close to death, and we were starving…

before you jump to conclusions I believe I am quoting Les Miz

1 Like

And you will starve again, unless you learn the meaning of the law!

2 Likes
1 Like

Yeah, there’s that, too.

They’re also making money off responsible actuaries.

When you buy a $100 item and pay with a card the merchant might only get $99 from the credit card company.

I’m not sure that’s equivalent. It’s generally understood that the TP is intended to only be for use when you’re actually using the toilet and is not meant to be removed from the restroom. (Maybe a small quantity to blow your nose after you leave but before you get home would be considered acceptable.)

I don’t think there’s a similar expectation with credit card offers.

They’re getting less than that, because I am getting $2. But, that cost needs to be baked into the pricing and so you should probably go ahead and collect the $2. Anyone who doesn’t (like my 77-yr old mom who would prefer to write a check) is just overpaying.

Maybe I should split out some of this credit card bonus conversation to a new thread, as it’s not generally innumeracy.

I have 3 credit cards, and 2 are not on Klaymen’s list! One that I got specifically for the rewards is the Capital One Savor. It’s 4% cash back on dining and entertainment, 3% on groceries, and 1% on everything else. I think the dining/entertainment cash back was 5% when I originally signed up. Sports tickets count as entertainment so running my season ticket costs through the card earns a fair amount by itself. Entertainment also includes streaming services. I do like restaurant dining, so that’s also a meaningful expenditure. The new cardmember bonus when I signed up was lower than the current $300 bonus, but IIRC the $95 annual fee was waived for me first year. They now have another option called Savor One that has no annual fee but a lower 3% dining/entertainment cash back. I haven’t bothered to do the math on the newer card, but I think it probably still makes sense to keep the annual fee version.

Just wondering,

But does anybody here still have an AMEX card?

They have basically evaporated over here in Europe. Not many shops take them now.

I have the Amex Delta Skymiles branded card. Now that I’m not traveling as much, I enjoy the associated travel benefits. I rarely use it. I just pay the fee for the bennies.

The only time I had the regular Amex card was when it was required for corporate travel. It was never very good for travel abroad.

1 Like

Not since Costco ditched them.

Same here. Also why I canceled my Discover card

I do, 4x points on travel come really handy when you travel to CAS conferences and get free points. Between that and my regular earnings I get a free vacation every year.

I don’t have CC debt either. I am a cash user now.

My company won’t reimburse me for flights and conferences until after I attend them. There are a couple of weeks that I have to float that every so often.

It took a moment, then I saw the text at the top, so I guess it qualifies as Innumeracy.

1 Like

Might be innumeracy, might just be old habits:

I went to a big farmers market style store. In one area they sell fresh herbs in the little plastic packages you see in grocery stores everywhere, and they sell them for a similar price as the regular grocery store at about $3 each.

Right near by they sell big bunches of fresh herbs for cheap prices. I needed chives and tarragon, and the big bunches were 99 cents each. If I bought those little plastic packs, I probably needed 2 of chives and 1 of tarragon. Not sure why anyone would buy those little packs at this store.

Is it the word “squared” that you object to?