Innumeracy

No coupons

1 Like

Then its a WTF moment. I wonder how they got there, but I would point out that 44.80 = 37.40 + 07.40 and somehow perhaps that is how they got to the gross amount.

He probably didn’t mean that the chances in 1 year were 3.000%. Nor that the chances in 10 years were 30.000%. Yes, it certainly implies between 2.5% and 3.5%, but if it were 3.500% it would be 29.97% for 3 years. I doubt that people would think 30% means between 29.5% and 30.5%. It would be unreasonable to call anything below 25% or above 35% as 30%. I would think better if he has said 26% or even 25%, but 30% isn’t so far off, in that context, to be innumeracy, IMO. YMMV.

If they’re saying “that means” then I’d call it innumeracy.

20% service charge?

some places do that and still show the tip box cuz that’s a standard layout

I don’t think so. The suggested tips were based on an amount 20% higher than the actual bill. The bill itself wasn’t higher. The pre calculated tips were off, I think.

1 Like

They might be doing tip/(bill + tip) =18%. Still not exactly what they got, but closer.

I wonder what he would say about a 50-yr period.

There is a 50% chance that it happened one and a half times?

No no no, it would be a 150% chance over 10 years. That’s a 100% chance that it happens once plus another 50% chance of it happening a second time.

it’s 50%. It happens or it doesn’t

1 Like

So close, and yet so far away.

Maybe fix it with a bit of Liquid Paper?

2 Likes

9/9 for 1:00 should really be .999~ like they used for calculating 7:00, imo.

that factorial looks like it is under the square root. that’s like …“six hundred and one o’clock”?

6 Likes

…approximately.

2 Likes

I think that was what @knoath was hinting at.

1 Like

My grocery store sells 12-packs of Coke for $6.99 plus tax. Or they have a Coke vending machine where it’s $0.50 per can. I guess I should get a roll of quarters next time I want soda.

2 Likes

That’s really cheap for a vending machine can of soda. I haven’t seen one that low in many years.

2 Likes

It’s been out of order lately, there is a generic soda machine that is just a quarter.

It’s Kansas, and this is an independent grocer.