Innumeracy

Really helps with sorting, so that all you have to figure out is whether to use ‘V3 final FINAL’ or ‘V3 final MM edits final.’

6 Likes

don’t forget to put your initials after you’ve reviewed Final FINAL v2

2 Likes

DMYY imo

One place I worked instituted a policy where the latest and greatest was always “V0”. Then the first bad version got renamed “V1” plus any other identifying details you wanted to include after it such as “V1 CFO projection from 3/29” or whatever. And the second bad version got renamed “V2”, then “V3” and so on. But the latest & greatest was always “V0”.

For about 18 months they were militant about enforcing it and it was great. Then they stopped enforcing it and 75% of the department stopped complying. :face_with_symbols_over_mouth:

We need a “dislike” button.

1 Like

Even worse there is a set of 3 reports that are run daily and saved then archived. They each have a unique name to which the date in the format mdyyyy is appended.

I sometimes do that with files I’m using, except the latest greatest version has no version number. It’s just “filename evaluation date”

1 Like

I’ll do something like that. Say my file is called RetentionAnalysis. If I’m working on it over a number of days, I might save a version every now and then with a prefix of yyyymmddhh - 2023012614RetentionAnalysis.

I’ll continue to work on the unprefixed version but can go back to a previous stopping point to compare any changes I may have made. If I’ve gone down the wrong rabbit hole, I may save the previous version as the unprefixed version.

What happens after several iterations? Doesn’t it become a pain to rename everything all the time?

Nothing ever gets renamed more than once unless you change your mind about archiving something and bring it back to current.

Let’s say you get a new file to input into Financial Reporting every single day because the fluffheads upstream from you can’t get their :poop: together. You distribute all 5 versions, naively believing that this will be the final version, so you need to save records of all 5, each one pulling from a different input file.

Mon: Create version V0
Tue: Rename yesterday’s V1; create new V0
Wed: Rename yesterday’s V2; create new V0
Thu: Rename yesterday’s V3; create new V0
Fri: Rename yesterday’s V4; create new V0

The Monday version starts out as V0, gets renamed V1 on Tuesday when it is deemed obsolete and then it is never renamed again.

The Tuesday version starts out as V0, gets renamed V2 and is never renamed again.

Well, unless Sunday they email you back and say “whoops, the Tuesday version was right after all”. Then in that case I’d keep V1, V2, V3, and V4, create V5 from the Friday version, and then copy the Tuesday version to also be V0. If space is an issue you could possibly delete V2, but I wouldn’t unless space was a real issue.

Once a version gets a non-zero number it can never get a different non-zero number.

1 Like

And this is exactly what I did, except the latest greatest version was “ReserveReviewYE2022”, and the intermediate versions were ReserveReviewYE2022V1, ReserveReviewYE2022V2, ReserveReviewYE2022V3, ReserveReviewYE2022V3… Once something got turned into a version, it was dead. The latest greatest was always just “ReserveReviewYE2022”

1 Like

Excel even has a menu item “Save a Copy”

I dislike when people say an 8-team Euro is harder to win than a 16- or 24-team Euro.

The currency? Like… gambling??? I’m confused.

I meant Euro as European Championships in soccer.

Ah, ok.

Some people pay many Euros to watch the Euros.

I’m not sure that this is innumeracy as much as recognition that when talent gets concentrated like that, it can become more difficult to win. When talent is spread out, you can game plan around the “known threat” . . . and you have at least the appearance of “easier to win” . . .

1 Like

I don’t know enough about the diversity of talent at that level, but this seems logical.

sure, but after one round of a 16 team euro (in which upsets, injury, or fatigue can happen) you are left with…an 8 team euro.