Innumeracy

cashier will ask if you want a 7th because 2 for $4

2 Likes

I encountered something like that at a donut shop once. They had painted in massive letters on the front door: “15 donut holes for $1”.

Me: Hi, I’d like 60 donut holes please.

Cashier: 60?

Me: Yes, please. 4 of the “15 for $1” deal.

Cashier: Uhhhh… ok. Ummm… do you want to just get 65? That will be cheaper.

Me: It will? (Cashier nods) Really? (Nods again) OK, sure.

Cashier: That will be $7.99.

Me: No… it should be $4 for 60.

Cashier: Well it’s $6.99 for 50 and then you can have another 15 for $1.

Me: :grimacing::woman_facepalming::woman_shrugging::doughnut:

(Not really… we eventually went back to 60 for $4, but it took some effort on my part.)

1 Like

BTW, I scanned their full menu and absolutely nowhere did it say 50 donut holes for $6.99. I had no idea that price point existed.

But the next week the front door was advertising 15 donuts for $1.25. Still cheaper to get 60 for $5 than 50 for $6.99 but :woman_shrugging:

ChatGPT: “45 times 4.37 is equal to 197.65.”
“18 times 4.37 is equal to 79.46.”

What is ChatGPT?

Me: “What are you?”

ChatGPT: “I am an artificial intelligence assistant trained to answer questions and have conversations with people. I do not have my own thoughts or feelings, but I am able to process and analyze information to provide responses to questions and prompts. Is there something specific you would like to know?”

1 Like

Ok you know you can get 6 slightly smaller bottles (I think 16.9 oz) for like $5 at the grocery store, right?

Local newscaster last night was mis-explaining the Speaker of the House voting deadlock.

There are 435 voting members of the house. A majority, or 218, is required to elect a speaker.

The vote, as of yesterday, was deadlocked with the 200 Dems voting for their candidate, 212 Reps voting for their candidate, and 20 dissenting Reps voting for tertiary candidate(s) which effectively prevents the finality of the election. But the newscaster kept saying that the vote wasn’t decided by the simple majority, when he meant it wasn’t decided by the plurality of the votes, or else the 212 Reps would have finalized the election. The vote IS decided by the simple majority, yet the voting split amongst 3 or more candidates prevented a simple majority from happening.

I care more about mediocre journalism misinforming the public than I actually care about who gets elected.

2 Likes

Did I understand correctly that the majority is of those voting for a candidate? I thought I heard that some could vote “Present” which would allow them to not be considered in the total to determine what a majority would be. Is that correct? And there are currently only 234 sworn members of the house because one seat (I think it was from VA) is empty and going to a special election soon?

You are correct in 1) it is a majority of those voting (so denominator changes based on absences or someone voting present) and 2) there is one open seat waiting on a special election. However, there are 0 sworn members because no one can take the oath of office until a speaker is elected so there are 434 representative-elects.

1 Like

representatives-elect, no?

yes. and yesterday I enjoyed two Whoppers, Jr for lunch.

4 Likes

I’m surprised the attorneys general haven’t made that illegal

3 Likes

It’s just illegal in the military, with violations triggering courts martial

2 Likes

Macs, Big > Whoppers, Jr

1 Like

Sure, but I don’t really care when I am posting from my phone.

Well, I have a bit of a soda problem (like Ukraine has “a bit” of a Russia problem), and having 6 bottles sitting in the fridge is just asking for trouble. So I try to limit the amount of soda I have on hand just in case I fall under the wagon. Definitely not cost effective, though.

1 Like

Why put them all in there? Do you now have a pantry or someplace else to keep them warm?

Warm soda is disgusting. But it is soda, and sometimes when I go on a sugar/caffeine bender I’m not that picky. I’d rather it just not be around than find myself drinking warm soda and questioning my life choices.

Plus I view the cost of the individual bottles as an appropriate tax on my stupid sugar-water addiction.

Ice can help with that. I have the recipe if you need it.

2 Likes