Innumeracy

I used to love those 25 cent cans of soda. Dr K!

1 Like

I recall similar innumeracy with tampons at the local grocery store when I was a poor starving college student.

The box of 40 was $5.29 (plus tax) but they were $0.10 in the vending machine in the ladies room. It was not uncommon to see a gal in there with a roll of dimes stocking up.

1 Like

Not exactly innumeracy but this seemed as good a place to share as any. This is at a car wash a 1/2 mile from my house.

What’s not to understand? It excepts 1 and 5! Put in 2, 10, 20, 100!

2 Likes

Exactly my thought. I’ve been stockpiling $2 bills for just such an occasion.

Well you could post it in this thread:

And/or this one:

So I’m going to be taking an inexpensive train from Washington DC to Baltimore next month.
Trying to decide if I should go for the trip insurance…

3 Likes

Maybe the $9 includes auromatic renlinstatement premium?

Out shoe shopping and the sign on one side of the table says “shoe sizes 8-11”. Ok fine. The sign on the other side says “shoe sizes 5 - 7/12”

“I’d like to try on the size seven twelfths please!”

2 Likes

That’s…curious … do they mean “sizes five through seven and also twelve “?

Why put twelve on the other side? …because that’s where the product fit when they were setting it out on display?

It’s a curious world we live in.

Maybe they actually meant 5 - 7 1/2?

2 Likes

That makes sense. :tup:

In a world where rulers show inches broken into sevenths, are any of the signs that odd?

2 Likes

I’m assuming this is what they meant & they just put the slash in the wrong place. It was women’s shoes, so size 12 is quite large unless you’re deliberately marketing to trans-women.

That said, 100.00% of the shoes were on the “size 8-11” side so it’s difficult to tell what exactly they meant. Store sells mostly clothing with just a few shoes in addition. They had sweaters in the “shoes size 5 - 7/12” section. :woman_shrugging:

1 Like

To be fair that wasn’t a ruler. It was the Best Buy description of the microwave depth. I still chuckle about that sometimes though.

1 Like

Not Innumeracy per se, but I don’t know what else to call it. I got an e-mail with this subject line, and the same think included in the text

“Price Increase Extended thru 1.6.23”

Doesn’t sound so attractive to me. What they mean is “Prices will increase on January 6”. (They had, in previous e-mails, said prices would increase January 2, so I had some clue as to what was going on.) I’m not signing up either way (it’s for the NJ State triathlon)

“Price Increase Delayed until 1.6.23”
Ja?

1 Like

Discounted Rate Extended thru 1-6-23

Wait! Is this June First or January Sixth?

1 Like

“Which one will get me to my quota this month?”