Inner Monologue

My inner monologue doesn’t narrate everything I do. Not all thoughts are verbalized. But if I walked upstairs to take a nap and then got distracted I might think to myself “what was I up here for again?” and here it as a voice in my head.

Deloris!

2 Likes
1 Like

I’m sure you’ve heard the story…that the writers (Larry David?) didn’t have a name for this woman up until taping before a live studio audience, when they posted the question to the audience “so, what do you think here name is?” And some women in the audience shouted out “Delores”. I would’ve said “Celeste” but that’s not as good, imo.

1 Like

If someone is born deaf, can they have an inner monologue?

Even if they can read and write English, they don’t truly know what a word sounds like, so is their inner monologue just concepts and not words?

do the blind dream

Definitely have the monologue. Agree with @John.S.Mill it is way more active when I am stoned and near silent when I used to drink. I can mentally visualize anything. I have a very strong ability to do that.

i do not have much inner monologue. some internal thinking through things, but nothing ongoing or repetitive

“Does it get irritating?” You ask.
Does looking at yourself in a mirror for just a few seconds too long ever get irritating. I am me. (and the voices are me.) So it goes.

Here is where I try to describe the voices I hear. (Note: the voices are not all I hear)
I am me. I hear my voice. If I am talking to you, I am either saying exactly what I am thinking, stream of consciousness style, or a construct of thoughts from all of me. There is me, the conscious self, the other - my raw demon self, the quiet one, the bastard that doesn’t speak just attempts to grab attention away from whatever reality I am living at a moment with flashes of recreations of painful moments, and the others. The others are vague, hard to define but there, letting words/images/smells/sounds slip in. The demon self is the one I talk to, raw and unconstrained he is me, without, (what? a sense of ethic). Yes, I talk to him, I have found that easier than ignoring him. The quiet one does not speak much, just a phrase here and there, but I feel him watching, so often watching. the bastard is the bastard, never speaking just intent on the destruction of us.

The irritating part is the effort it takes to not just give in to the inner monolog. It can be mentally exhausting. That is countered by the openness of vision I gain. When aligned I don’t just see the forest and the trees, but the dragon, sky, and seas. That has proven profitable.

I have had a roaring inner voice lately. Some work stuff that just didn’t make sense and I have rolled it over and over in my head. It’s not super helpful as it’s driving a lot of anxiety.