Impeachment trial

Yes, that’s why I’m really depressed that it looks like the senate won’t convict him.

It seems to me what we’re going through with this trial is the demonstration of a fatal flaw in the concept of the legislative branch having this check against the president. I’m tempted to think if it was something like simple majority of House but then Senate holds trial where the SCOTUS is the jury. Having the Senate be the jury seems fatally flawed, perhaps it was less so in the original Constitution without direct voting for Senators.

1 Like

I think that if senators were elected by state legislators they would be every bit as partisan as they are now.

Agree… possibly moreso.

Perhaps a bit more pragmatic and less populist. Perhaps.

so, there is no way any of these republican congressmen actually like donald trump, right?

well, i mean other than the insane ones like that blonde chick.

It was fascinating listening to the defense. They put a few points in for R’s to cling to then spent the bulk of their time creating framing, sound bites, and statements for the
ongoing campaign if Trump is acquitted.

Witnesses coming now. This will.be interesting. I guess this will go into next week now. Wonder who will testify?

I assume that McCarthy is unwilling to testify?

In a regular court I don’t think that Herrera-Beutler’s testimony would be worth much. It’s heresay what McCarthy told her Trump said, and that’s the damning portion.

Now if she actually heard McCarthy say “Who the F*** do you think you’re talking to” then she could probably testify to that. But I don’t think she even heard that. I think McCarthy told her about it after the fact.

That said, I know the rules are different for a Senate trial than for a criminal trial so perhaps hearsay is admissible???

I was under the impression that it’s all admissible here

Hopefully Bull Moose Lodge Organic Shaman.

acquitted

so he really can shoot someone in the middle of fifth avenue and get away with it.

this country fucking sucks.

7 republicans with a backbone

okay, i’m confused. mitch voted “not guilty”, but now he’s making a speech about how Trump is guilty. what’s going on?

okay, he’s getting to the but…

They all know he’s guilty but the senate doesn’t think they should be the ones to have to actually hold him accountable.

1 Like

ooooooooooooooooh, his “but” is because trump is not still in office. my god…

Can’t hold him criminally accountable because he was in office when it happened but can’t hold him politically responsible because he’s no longer in office. Seems to give presidents the authority to do literally anything they want in their last month of power.

why can’t they hold him criminally accountable now? I think they can. they just didn’t convict in an impeachment trial. still can hold a criminal trial.

Correct. But, will the DOJ bring charges after Trump has been acquitted by the Senate?

Sure, they are different things. One simply bars him from running for office again, the other sends him to prison. In one, the jury is politicians who need his support, the other has random citizens who don’t need any favors from Trump.

But, too many voters won’t get that distinction. They will be swayed by “double jeopardy”.

1 Like

why does it matter what the Trump voters think here?