I knew I was old when…

It was well into the 21st century before my father got Touch-Tone. Phone company stopped supporting rotary, thereby forcing his hand.

He was pissed because he had to buy all new phones. Of course by then phones were cheap and the phone company was no longer charging extra for Touch-Tone, but still…

The ring bearer at our wedding is expecting his second child. And the flower girl is expecting her third child.

5 Likes

I’m not positive but I think this is why we retired ours. We had one touch phone and one rotary (neither cordless) and replaced the rotary with another corded phone. I think it was around 1998 when they got a cordless phone… and I think my brother and I got them one for Christmas, or it would have been later.

Heh, I remember as Touch-Tone was becoming widespread but my parents were, of course, too cheap to pay for it.

But enough people had that businesses were starting to introduce the “press 1 for this, press 2 for that” stuff. And of course you couldn’t do that on a rotary or pulse push button phone.

BUT phone-makers had dual push button phones that had a little toggle switch where you could toggle between Touch-Tone and pulse. So you’d set it to pulse to make the call, then when you needed to press 4 or whatever you toggled over to Touch-Tone.

So my father must’ve had some phones that were Touch-Tone capable by then, but he still complained a lot!!!

I’m so old, I remember having a party line. I was a little kid, but old enough to learn how it worked. I think we had it from age 3 to age 7.

Get your head out of the gutter… not the sex kind… the original kind.

Gawd… I can’t even remotely imagine something like that working today.

That said… I’m not sure which is the cause and which is the effect. Do shared things not work because people are inherently more selfish today or are people inherently more selfish because there is not the need to share?

Canine ring-bearer & flower girl???

when I was in college I had a professor who reviewing his phone realized he was being charged extra for touch tone

I called the phone company and they asked him to dial a few numbers

They agreed it was dial and promised to fix it next month and refund

well play that chorus a couple more months, same conversation, no correction

back in the day, there was a computer punch card in the bill, for telephone company tracking

He took the card to the computer center and typed random characters and mailed it back

Three days later the phone company called his, asked him to never do that again

but they fixed the bill

3 Likes

I get botox. Am I old?

But I also know 20 yos that get botox.

I can’t find my chequebook. And I know I have extra cheques and registers somewhere in the house - I just can’t remember where the **** they are!!! :heynow:

1 Like

Um, yes to that. Just watched the first two episodes. Was bawling like crazy on my flight. Hard to wipe away snot and tears when you’re wearing a mask.

It’s easy to make checkbook register pages in Excel. It’s all lines, columns, and boxes. Easy - peazy.

Yeah that’s what I do. My mom taught me how to use a register in HS but I quickly discovered they suck. Used a spiral notebook until excel spreadsheets became a thing.

I don’t feel old. I’ve got a lot of giddy up left in me yet.
The only thing I notice is inability to heal. Stuff that would hurt for a day and be healed in a couple, now can take months before it’s right. I sprained my foot many months ago and I can still feel it some mornings on the treadmill.

I think you have me confused with JFG. My youngest is about to graduate HS.

I find myself complaining about everything.

And enjoying it!

The male karen!

I write physical checks generally when I get annoyed when I’d planned to use a CC but the place has a fee for using CC - mostly just to be a PITA. I figure that, at this point, them handling my physical check probably costs them more than their CC cost. The last one I wrote was in May, so I guess I write 1 or 2 checks a year.

1 Like

Instead of a check register, I use this website. Used it for years now, and I really like it. I feel like I’ve recommended it in a different thread on this forum, but if you use this link to subscribe then I get a free month :slight_smile:

1 Like

Of course! Let some other company know what you spend money on and how much!
(/s)

I can’t remember any such stories as these.
Hey I’m old!!

Yeah, this time of year when I’m doing all the charitable giving I end up doing this, just so I make sure I don’t max out the credit cards or accidentally overdraw the checking account because I didn’t transfer enough from savings.