I am going to buy this (these) today and reasons why

Counterpoint: NOT buying a new refrigerator, just getting some parts replaced. Yes, it’s will cost about a third of the cost of a new refrigerator, but I am hopeful for ten more years out of it.
Current inconvenience: it is unplugged and the second fridge is now completely full. Repairman comes tomorrow.

Hmmm, just checked BestBuy. I COULD get a new one for only twice the cost of the repair…

Are there any other considerations - is the new one more energy efficient or does it have any extra bells and whistles?

Last thing I want are more bells and whistles. Repairman said that some other customer’s monitor went out and shut down the freezer. needed a new monitor. $1000. What the effing fuck.
The one I have is ten years old. Efficient enough. I have another 20-year-old one out in the garage.
They just keep making them of poorer and poorer quality in order to keep the price down. Repairs are not the manufacturers’ concern, say they shareholders via the Executives,

The Sony’s are NOT very comfy in my ears. I’ll try the smaller ear thingies and see if that helps. These will definitely be backups and not my regular ear buds. The sound is much better than the $20 Hey Day earbuds.

I checked out the Power Beats that NA mentioned but those are outside my price range for something I might easily lose.

1 Like

I haven’t used their wireless stuff, one other brand I’ve had good luck with that’s inexpensive is Skullcandy, so maybe worth a look?

1 Like

My son got me a set of these and they work just fine for me.

1 Like

This just popped up in my newsfeed. I make no warranty that it has any value. It’s merely timely:

I do not think for one second it is timely. They know what you’re reading and posting about!

No, I don’t know who “they” are. “They” don’t want me to know!!

1 Like

You won’t believe #4!!!

1 Like

I got these Beats Flex. More comfy than the Sony. My audiobook sounded great but the phone call was fuzzy and the little bit of music in the audiobook was not great.

So I’ve now bought 3 new pairs of earbuds in the last week but my total outlay was about what I would have spent on another pair of Bose Soundsport ($129 as of a year ago).

I guess I’ll stop for now.

2 Likes

I was looking for double-pot coffeemakers with independent carafes, since I have a colleague who has a condition that requires him to prefer decaf. But with the price tags I’m seeing, it would probably be way cheaper to just get a separate ordinary coffeemaker for decaf.

1 Like

If you’re shopping for an office coffeemaker be sure to consider the longevity and how long different coffeemakers will last when comparing price tags. I think the more “industrial” ones will stand up better to heavy use than the less expensive ones meant for home use. A $500 coffeemaker that will last 10 years could actually be cheaper than two $40 coffeemakers that will burn out after 6 months of heavy use.

That said, especially post-Covid, I don’t know how many times you would be expecting it to get used in a day. Plus the longevity “data” will be hard to come by… anecdotal at best probably. But it’s something to consider.

Has anyone ever seen a Bunn coffee maker fail? They seem about as reliable as a wood burning stove.

Yes, the Bunns I have at the concessions stands at school have had repairs needed multiple times. I haven’t checked the age on them though. They are owned by our beverage supplier, so they fix them for us.

2 Likes

Interesting. At least they are repairable, I suppose. These days it’s probably cheaper and/or easier to just buy a $40 coffee maker and replace it. I do like things that last, even if it means a bit of hassle for repairs.

A switch failed on our Vitamix blender and it was like $75 to replace it. I could just buy a blender for $75 and be done with it, but the Vitamix is a nice machine.

I imagine coffeemaker longevity has a lot to do with the amount of minerals in the water that crud up the heating elements. My water is pretty decent and my coffeemaker has to be at least 15 years old now.

I used to have one back closer to when they were first made. Great machine. Then I tried a Blendtec for a while. They make a big deal about not needing a tamper (one author put it as them basically just trying to be not-Vitamix), but it made me want a tamper, which made me miss my Vitamix.

At the moment I’m team Ninja, which is working out well so far. (They are loud af tho, so I wear sound ears when using it.)

So I don’t have a good way to run the AV cables in my basement, the cables for my subwoofers run along the floor next to a wall. It’s not ideal. So I’m going to buy some of the wireless transmitter guys that’ll let me hook up all three subs wirelessly to my receiver.

I’m probably just going to get the cheap-ish ones from Parts Express. They have a little more latency but a) I sit about 6’ closer to my subs than my mains and b) I think I can correct for the rest of it using my receiver’s built-in DSP.

I’ve have a few things break on my Ninja and couldn’t get replacement parts for my model.

Some updates to my recent tire purchase. The Michelin CrossClimate 2 tires have been pretty impressive so far. I have driven in fairly heavy rain twice now (photo below)and they still stay glued to the road. They are super stable. I often find myself needing to back of on speed now because it feels natural to go faster. Anyway, great set of treads.

2 Likes