How to not screw up the Seder

Ok, dinner party attire. I can do that!

Also sounds like this gathering is going to be small due to covid, right? I’m not sure attire matters that much at all.

This.

And it completely depends on them. So they dress up?

We do dress better for the seder most years, but we won’t this year.

Yeah, they have two kids… I’m expecting it’s just going to be the 5 of us.

i’m guessing t-shirt is fine then.

i tend to be less dressed up in most situations where it’s optional though. i have tons of tee-turtle t-shirts that i wear casually these days. probably what i’d wear.

I’ve never seen them in anything fancier than business casual, but there hasn’t really been an occasion for more than that either.

Hmm, I have a cotton dress that’s fairly comfy. Maybe I’ll wear that. It’s not super dressy, but not super casual so I won’t be too out of place either way.

Assuming they would’ve mentioned something if it was super formal.

i’m sure that’s fine. i highly doubt a gathering with her immediate family plus you would be super formal.

Just arrived and wife is wearing a casual cotton dress, similar to mine… perfect!

1 Like

At this point, probably the thing you can do that will best increase the chances of screwing it up is to spend time posting on an Internet forum. :wink:

Granted, I’ve never been to one, so what do I know…

1 Like

I disagree. It should definitely be live-blogged.

Awkward! (Or not)

That was a typo. I meant to ask “Do they dress up?”

Have fun.

I figured!

It was great. The kids were a little wild so it wasn’t a super serious event. A lot of the time the mom was reading and I was really the only one listening.

But after 4 glasses of wine… plus somehow I was the one who drank Elijah’s glass, so actually 5 glasses of wine… I am completely hammered. It’s a good thing I live close enough to walk!

passover is fun. i miss it :frowning:

1 Like

It was fun.

I was completely not prepared for the Elijah’s wine thing though. I had poured the glass (full, as instructed). Then the Dad & kids went to open the door to let Elijah in. And the mom signaled to me to drink it really fast while the kids were by the door. So I basically had to pound it.

Afterwards I asked if it was supposed to be the oldest person who drank Elijah’s wine (this couple is 10 years younger than me). And the mom was like “no, it’s just the lush of the group.”

So apparently I’m the lush! :grimacing: :wine_glass:

I was completely not prepared for that though. Yikes! Still pretty drunk. And home now… left when the kids started melting down.

1 Like

hmmm, not sure i remember that part.

Well I have nothing to compare it to. We’d do Seders with youth group when I was a kid, but with grape juice.

The kids went to open the door to let Elijah in and they were supposed to be looking for Elijah. Meanwhile Elijah came and drank his glass of wine. (Except it was actually me.) When the Dad & the kids came back they were genuinely astonished to find that Elijah had come and drank his wine. :astonished::astonished::astonished:

According to the Haggadah we were reading from, Elijah visits all Passover tables all over the world. But perhaps he doesn’t have wine at all of them? I don’t know!

well, the only real seders i go to are my sisters. there are no kids there. i suppose we could get this alcoholic dude to pound down a glass of wine and he would oblige.