How much life insurance do you have on yourself?

I’m thinking that I’d like my body to decompose as naturally as possible to get all of the good stuff in it back into the ecosystem. Cremation is out, because I don’t want it all just going into the air. Sitting in a cement vault doesn’t appeal to me either.

I’m thinking the best option is probably to donate it to one of those forensic labs where they leave it out in the woods to study what happens to corpses…

Of course, what happens to my body will likely be more important to my family than to me at that point, so I guess they’ll do what they feel is best.

My plan is to be cremated. Spread the ashes in the ocean or something. Just don’t leave me in an urn on the coffee table.

1 Like

1 Like

Oddly I found it much cheaper to buy a term policy than increase my blank x salary policy through work.

I have enough to support the family once factoring in that I don’t need retirement savings if I’m dead so those funds become available too.

Certainly if you want to let them decide you may. But you can also make those arrangements now. My grandmother promised her body to the medical school when she was in her 40s and she lived to be over 90. But the medical school remained a going concern in need of cadavers for their students at the time she passed.

I kind of like the idea of leaving my body to a medical school, actually. Maybe I should contact a local one.

That said, I’m already an organ donor, so my body should go towards some useful purpose when I croak regardless. But maybe as I age my organs are less useful and I’d do more good going the medical school route???

Not sure.

I read a clickbait article recently about a new business in Washington state that would turn one’s carcass into mulch, as an alternative to cremation.

I rather like the idea, in a circle of life kind of way.

1 Like

FYI in my wife’s Death and Dying class she took when becoming a counselor, it actually drastically reduces the burden on the family if you have your wishes spelled out beforehand. Otherwise it adds stress on what you would have wanted and trying to figure it out. If it isn’t important, you can state that, but saying something like “I’d prefer to be donated to science, but if you can’t handle that I’m okay being buried traditionally as this isn’t that important to me” would be better than saying “do whatever you’d like”.

1 Like

That makes sense. It was quite stressful shopping for cemetery plots with the clock ticking after my stepfather died. We did at least know that he was ok being cremated, so that part was decided. And although I’m not thrilled with what was decided, knowing that we’ve already got my mom’s plot certainly means it will be easier when she goes.

But when my stepdad died we were waking around in 105 degree heat with the sun beating down full strength, not a cloud in the sky nor a whisper of wind, trying to figure out the map of which plots were available vs which were sold but not yet being used vs sold and in use and it was pretty miserable.

My body must be preserved like Lenin for all to see what perfection looks like

1 Like

Interesting. Not a single actuary looking to leave an actual legacy. At this point, I’m well below my human life value but more than enough to cover debts, let the wife and (adult) kids live comfortably, and continue to build investments for a legacy.

I am the legacy

What more of a legacy do you need than that?

1 Like

Between the life insurance, the 401k (if anything’s left), and the pension, it’s enough.

1 Like

My son’s spouse said this to me, when i said i wouldn’t care any more. So i told them that i think either cremation or a Jewish burial would be nice, but if that’s inconvenient, they should do what they want.

(My son was also present.)

My mother wanted to donate her body to a local medical school, but since she died of covid, they didn’t want it. She also said she wanted her ashes scattered where we scattered my dad’s ashes, so that’s what we did.

(If you donate your body to a medical school, you still get ashes back when they are done with it. At least in this case, we would have.)

Huh? What do you mean by a legacy? I reared two kids, and I’ve made a difference in the lives of many other people. That’s my legacy.

6 Likes

We’ve both got around $800,000. That’s enough to pay of our house, pay for kids college, and leave the survivor with over $1,000,000 in the bank if either died this year at 40. I think that’s plenty.

If your mortgage is currently $0 then she’d have $20,000 a year. Which is doable, but well shy of what most of us consider living “fairly comfortably without ever working again”.

If your mortgage is more than $0 then she’d have less. Unless you’re factoring in other savings that you didn’t mention, like a fat pension or retirement account.

Factoring in other savings. She’d have zero debt and enough assets to live well above $20k.

1 Like

I have kind of a lot.

I have 1.9M in life, another 1M in AD&D (via work) that costs <$200 a year and includes covg for dependents, and yet another $1M in travel accident (work, free). spouse loves when I leave for work trips, as an accident on the road makes her rich!

the life is:
100K that has about 3 years left before i let it lapse (universal i got when I was 27 and have been running down for 10 yrs)
200K from work
1M term w 14 yrs left
250K term w 19.5 yrs left
350K term w 29.5 yrs left (I’ll be old when this is over)

my spouse does not work outside the home. we have a mortgage. kid still at home (HS) w college dreams. other debts, etc. i added the 250/350 terms last year. a guy from my HS died and there was an outpouring of donations to a gofundme for his kids. he seemed unprepared from a life ins perspective (IMO) and made me look at what I would add while i was still young enough and in good health to get whatever I could pick. So I have the laddering in place with the term expiration at future dates when I should have other confirmed wealth by those points that makes the “future income protection” not needed. I mean, I go past that with the 250/350, but they were cheap and I already had a cliff at 14 yrs.

spouse has 300K term and some participation in the AD&D.

ETA - the terms all have convertibility endorsements. if my health takes a shit turn in advance of some future deadline, i can really wager on my impending death for big payoff!