How much does GoA cost to run?

The name of the neighborhood being “Boystown” didn’t give you a clue?

1 Like

Not necessarily:

Boys Town (film) - Wikipedia

You’re the product not the client.

1 Like

You’re under arrest for suspicion of battery.

1 Like

I remember sorting threads by post/view count before the death of ActuarialOutpost and I remember the threads with the greatest post count were the exam threads - GH spec Fall 2019, CAS exam 5 Fall 2018, and so on.

The majority of the posts occurred basically the day after exams when everyone discussed specific exam questions and 12 weeks later when results were released.

I feel like these exam threads are low hanging fruit. Maybe pay for someone’s study material if they offer to create a thread and answer exam specific questions others may post.

While forums may be dying I think an actuarial forum is quite useful for keeping up with actuarial news regarding SOA/CAS fuckery, which company pays the worst, exam/grading/proctoring mishaps

2 Likes

I appreciate your thoughts on this. It’s important to me.

We’ve actually tried all that. To no avail. Spent a few k on material, sent the material out, nobody ever came back. It’s a chicken/egg problem that without the mass of posts, we can’t get exam takers to register here, and without exam takers, no critical mass of posts.

We’ve spent some time on the problem, no luck. I think it is important for the forum to have active exam threads, and it’s important that this info be posted in a forum format that’s indexable and thus findable.

There’s a few ideas kicking around, but they all take more resources than this site has, or is likely to have in the near term.Pre-covid we had planned some conferences and money from that would’ve funded some exam thread material, but looks like that ship has sailed as well.

I dunno, I’ve tried nothing and am out of ideas I guess.

1 Like

Why has that shipped sailed? I think that the SOA and CAS has resumed having their conferences in person.

Time and money. Both of us are super busy, and at least right now any money I’ve got is being spent on my business. It’s not inconsequential to front the money for a conference, and covid already meant we lost money in travel and speaker fees when we cancelled.

I still think our idea of a networking/ career building conference is valid, so maybe someday.

1 Like

The only other thing is it was hard for me to access the goactuary forums at first because I would type in goactuary and get sent to goactuary.com instead of community.goactuary.com

I am so lazy that I almost chose another AO offshoot because I had to spend an extra click to get here

Manhattan GoAtacular!!! :party:

1 Like

I assume you mean the Little Apple (Manhattan, KS). If so, I’m in.

How’s the Happy Hour scene in Manhattan, KS???

Why is there a rabies lab on the KSU campus???

UW Fed hall.
FTFY.

I thought Fed Hall closed up. :man_shrugging: Or am I thinking of the Bomb Shelter??

Just to expand on this a bit, to get a conference going, I need a venue booked - and they’re expensive, and that requires cash upfront. And adding in meals, it gets real expensive fast.
With a venue booked, I had to book speakers - and pay them deposits, and book/pay for airfare, and book and pay for accomodations.

And with all that time and money spent, I need to convince vendors to cough up some cash. Vendors aren’t real interested in a conference they’ve never heard of and with 0 ticket sales. I don’t think last time we’d actually sold a sponsorship/vendor booth by the time covid hit.

Then gotta sell tickets, and everybody buys those the week before. And marketing those to the whole actuarial community repeatedly, lotta work, lotta advertising costs. With the old AO, we could’ve just thrown an ad up and emailed everyone and likely had a reasonable chance at success. Wihtout that footprint though, it’s real hard slugging to get a dollar out of anyone.

I’m getting tired just thinking about it.

Decent, not great.

K State has a lot of agricultural programs, and I assume it’s related to that.

I think there’s lots:

that makes sense with it being a lot more difficult without the old ao to advertise on and this forum is pretty small in comparison.

never new that existed. joined and searched for “ao fan” and i see they know i exist. :heart: