How is this possible

I can’t imagine the dog can follow the rearrangement of the tiles, and maybe it’s a stretch to think the dog could understand what pattern he’s looking for. Other explanations? My wife thinks it’s sleight of hand, that whichever tile the dog picks first, the human can turn it up to display 6, etc. I find that hard to accept, but wonder if there is some difference in the blue side of the tiles that the dog can learn to recognize. But even if there is, how does the dog choose them in the correct order?

eh, the dog is simply trained to flip those tile in the exact order.

it’s up to the trainer to rearrange it in the exact order he wants the dog to pick out

1 Like

I think he films dozens of tries and edits the video to make it look like the dog is picking correctly every time.

maybe, I just don’t think he needs to be that complicated.

You can easily train the dog to pick out 2,4,3,5,1, for example, always in that order.

I appear to not have access to the link in the OP . . . but with a dog involved, it’s not too far fetched to have each tile scented differently and train the dog to find a scent based on a “command” that just happens to be a number.

And then a simple matter of extending this to find a sequence of scents using the known “commands”.

I do think its probably a learned pattern.

In the video:

Dog chooses tile in front ot left paw
Chooses tile in front of right paw
Tiles repositioned
Dog chooses tile in front of left paw
Dog chooses tile in front of right paw
Tiles repositioned
Dog chooses tile in front of right paw
Dog chooses tile in front of left paw.

Agree it could also be taught with different scents, but that seems like a lot more work.

dogjong

1 Like

That explains the dog’s behavior very well, but unless there are big gaps in the film (possible) how does the handler keep track of where the tiles are? To me, the scent theory is much better (and has some slight similarity to my original theory: that the dog could tell the tiles apart. My theory was some difference in color or pattern; scent hadn’t occured to me.)

Or even just the Clever Hans effect, where an animal can sense what choice the owner wants them to make by reading subtle posture/muscle changes.

2 Likes

That too assumes the owner can keep track of where the correct tile is (off camera?)

He doesn’t do a ton of scrambling. Wouldn’t be too hard to memorize a series of moves that makes it look scrambled but you know the position of the tiles.

Odd that I can see the link on my work computer; but not my home computer . . .

But it’s clear that some very creative editing is taking place. there are subtle “flicks” where the image starts to slightly blur and then comes back into “instant focus.”

You’ll also notice that the dog holds the same posture between “picks” and the guy holds the same posture during a “pick”; making the editing a bit easier (and harder to detect).

How is this possible? The pencil is rigid!

1 Like

You seem to be suggesting a hoax.

The simplest way to do the trick is to teach the dog to select in a specific pattern and use marked tiles. This one didn’t fool us and they don’t get the trophy.

I Slow motion watched his shuffling. He keeps them pretty much in a line while he spins them in circles. Then he grabs them by pairs and arranged it where he wants. He easily knows where each tile is.

here are videos of kids juggling Rubik’s cubes and solving them while being blindfolded. I think keeping track of tiles while shuffling them is on the low end of being skillful.

1 Like

\textcolor{red}{\text{Nice try, but the handler is definitely not blindfolded}}

1 Like

Interesting that the video image around the dog stays “blurred” throughout most of the video.