Home-baked cookie ranking poll

:tfh:

I’ve already eaten several.

2 Likes

thumb prints are kinda meh most every thing else works.

Do you ask every time you are offered a homemade chocolate chip cookie?

Eh, my experience is that butter has the superior flavor and shortening yields the flakier crust. Not to mention that shortening dough is easier to work with.

Yeah, I mean this in the nicest way possible but you’re weird. You probably like those crispy Tate’s chocolate chip cookies that my mother buys. Which… they’re edible, but it’s such a waste of perfectly good ingredients.

Worse than mistaking an oatmeal raisin cookie for chocolate chip. :worried:

D’oh! Ninja’d. Yeah, those are so disappointing. Not worth the calories.

When pepperidge farms removed tropical oils from their recipes i was so disappointed that i wrote them and complained. That is, i bought a bag without reading the ingredients, ate a cookie, and said, “what’s wrong with this cookie?” Then i looked at the ingredients, and then i complained. I think I’d notice.

Yes, but it’s not a huge difference. I once made a pie crust with all coconut oil. THAT was hard to work with.

That’s just silly, as you can tell by looking at them that Tates cookies are crunchy, not soft. Mistaking raisins for chocolate visually is an unpleasant surprise in the mouth.

And they seem to sell well–so i can’t be that weird to like them. I guess I’m not surprised you don’t. They are the only commercial chocolate chip cookie I’ve found that’s actually worth eating.

You can tell by looking at them that they’re going to be crunchier than, say, Soft Batch.

But as DTNF keeps saying, there’s a sweet spot in the middle where there’s a little crunch but a little chewiness and that sweet spot is just perfection. And Tate’s look like they might hit pretty close to perfection. But boy they very much do NOT.

But my mother likes them, and they seem to be a going concern, so you and my mother must not be the only ones.

But biting into one was a far bigger disappointment than biting into an oatmeal raisin cookie that was mistaken for chocolate chip.

And too soft is WWWWWWWAAAAAAAAYYYYYYYYYY better than too hard.

Huh. While a cookie that’s a little chewy in the middle can certainly be good (if it’s not undercooked, which they too-often are), I glanced at the packaging for Tates, and knew that wasn’t what they promised. I’m surprised that fooled you. I bought my first batch knowing they’d be crispy-crunchy throughout, but not knowing if they would taste good. They taste stellar, with a strong butter flavor and a lot of caramelization, as well as good chocolate. So I don’t buy them too often, because it’s not good for me to eat a whole package of cookies.

I wasn’t fooled by the packaging… I’ve never wasted money buying Tate’s.

But when my mother put out a plate of them after dinner I thought they looked good and boy, was I wrong!

Now that I know what they look like I’m more vigilant.

Tate’s? We’ve used them in recipes where a good crumbled cookie is required.

Hmmm, like what?

I suppose the fact that they’re so crispy to start with would make them a good addition to cookies & cream ice cream. Or they might be good cookies to use in making ice cream sandwiches where their hardness would be an asset and not a liability.

Funny, an ice cream sandwich is one place where i don’t want the cookie to be too brittle. I don’t want the “handle” to fall apart as i eat it

1 Like

I had never heard of Tate’s. I just ordered some to try on Amazon. You and I have very different tastes but I’d like to try them.

1 Like

I think we can all agree that rai-SINS are vile, evil, dirty, smelly and nasty. :judge:

2 Likes

Oh I love a good chewy oatmeal raisin cookie.

Not when I want a chocolate chip cookie but …

Also love raisins in bread pudding. Or just by themselves.

Yeah oatmeal raisin can be good from time to time.

I still can’t believe that people actually prefer their homemade cookies to be crunchy hard cookies. Like boggles my mind.

Do you guys like your steaks crispy too?

5 Likes

The outside of the steak should have some crisp bits. :wink:

I can’t believe so many people like to eat undercooked cookies. I mean, fully cooked home made cookies that are still warm and soft in the middle are excellent. But after they’ve cooled most cookies should be crisp, with maybe a little bit of chewy in the center. I do make a gingersnap that is better if you let it “mellow” for a few days, during which time it absorbs humidity and softens. And I like my meringue cookies to have a pronounced chewy center. (yes, that’s undercooked, too. But it’s undercooked egg white, not undercooked flour, which tastes… like undercooked flour.)

But hey, if you want the perfect cookie, with a crisp, browned edge and a chewy center, complex flavor, and bursts of chocolate, (or, if you like a soft and completely uniform cookie. Or if you want any of several other variations) here’s a detailed guide to how to adjust the recipe to suit your preferences. It’s not the 20 minute prep of the regular recipe, but you might find the extra time to be worth it:

or, for pretty much the same thing, but with less theory:

1 Like

Ick… this is the one cookie that you don’t want to be chewy!!! Meringue needs to be fully cooked. I can’t stand partially cooked meringue.

Yeah, I can’t eat the professionally made ones, because they have the texture of concrete. I intentionally cook them “too hot” so the outside caramelizes just a bit, and I remove them from the oven before they are cooked all the way through. I also add chocolate chips, which give them a hell of a lot more flavor.

I understand if you don’t like them, but when I put these out at parties they disappear quickly, so I think you are in a minority here.