Hire or not?

I was going to take 100 and 110 at the same time, but I was advised not to because of how hard the exams are. I took them both but only studied for one. I got a 9 and a 5, I think. Could have passed both easily with slightly more effort. But I didn’t have a job at the time, so admittedly not too relevant to this thread.

I assume you have by now decided whether or not to hire this person. But I don’t really see the problem. If the job opportunity does not offer paid study time (normal for internships or a co-op), just tell them that. If they want to spend all their free time studying for exams, power to them. They may pass, they may fail, but your concern is what they’re doing during work hours, which should be work. And if you do offer study time, presumably it has some time constraints around number of hours, not just “study whenever and as much as you feel like to the detriment of work.”

1 Like

Turned out to not be an issue. They didn’t interview well, and a bunch of other folks interviewed really well. Got matched with another hotshot.

I’m constantly surprised at the calibre of co-op students. I had a hard time whittling the number of interviews down to a reasonable amount (interviewed 5, could’ve interviewed 10). And of those, there were three that could’ve walked in here and done an outstanding job. In the end the decision amongst the three was pretty arbitrary (and the other two would’ve been more than fine).

2 Likes