Have we rounded the corner for the final time?

Well there’s sure a lot more stories about hospitalized kids these days, so this statement doesn’t appear to be true AFAICT.

1 Like

In my state, most of the hospitalized kids have RSV, not Covid. At least that’s what hospital officials were saying last week.

I just confirmed that in spite of the federal mask mandate on buses, masks will not be required on Mr aj’s bus when school starts next week. The district states that “students will be distanced as much as possible.” Mr aj says there is no distancing on his bus. They clean a lot and keep some windows open.

They’re defying the mandate? Or are you talking about a bus that is not a school bus? (I believe the mandate is specific to school busses?)

I’m talking about school buses in a public school district. I believe they are taking the state mandate to not require masks at school to also apply to the buses.

Also this is what they said about quarantine: “close contacts will be strongly encouraged to quarantine for 10 days”. Not required, encouraged.

I’m so glad I don’t have kids in school.

1 Like

If you know anyone in Texas, share this The Texas Coronavirus Antibody REsponse Survey

Wait, there is still a federal mask mandate in some fashion? I thought everything currently out there are suggestions.

Wait, are you talking mass transit federal mandate (planes, trains and busses)? I think you may be right there but I didn’t think that mandate extended to school busses.

Our governor has said that schools can’t have mask mandates. One of the districts implemented one anyway. Now a teacher has a suit against the district.

:popcorn:

Yeah that’s… not allowed as I understand it.

At least… I assume that a federal mandate supersedes anything at the state level, right?

My understanding is that masks are required on school buses per federal mandate. Maybe I misunderstood. I read the local district’s plan and they said something along the lines of masks optional except on school busses due to the federal mandate that applied to busses.

Public school district in the burbs. Big yellow school busses (not kids riding city busses to school, which does happen in the city).

OK, I missed that.

Yes, passengers and drivers must wear a mask on school buses , including on buses operated by public and private school systems, subject to the exclusions and exemptions in CDC’s Order. Operators of school buses should refer to the Department of Education’s COVID-19 Handbook [PDF – 27 pages] for additional guidance.

2 Likes

I don’t see the parents in my district having their little snowflakes wear a mask this fall. We already had national media make a stop by to cover the debate on critical race theory which as far as I know never was being taught nor up for consideration.

Well after misremembering how Social Security calculates the maximum family benefit it’s nice to see that my memory isn’t totally shot.

I did have to look up whether the plural of bus is buses or busses… in short… it’s either but buses is more common.

1 Like

So much for herd immunity through vaccination, eh?

Shouldn’t the more people vaccinated make it less likely for the virus to be able to find a host?

Unless they’re just talking about percentages of cases, which is incredibly misleading, right @meep ?

1 Like

FTFY. YW.

There certainly are a lot of stories these days, just in time for start of the school year. However, most, if not all, of those “stories” have been almost immediately debunked & later retracted.

The Tenth Amendment is dead to you, huh?

I’m not sure how accurate this is in fact, but it is consistent with how districts near me are interpreting the federal mandate.

1 Like

Even though I agree with the notion that the Ninth and Tenth Amendments are too-often forgotten or ignored, it should be noted that they don’t supersede the Welfare Clause of the Constitution.

1 Like

This reminds me of this:

The absolute risks were coming down for all of the groups but the difference in vaccinations between groups led to different relative risks. Duh.

4 Likes

Most of my hospitals are at capacity in most states. AND the providers that aren’t going to get the vax will be fired Sept 1st. These two things are scaring the fcuk out of me.

More and more places around here are requiring a proof of vax to get into. I think a lot of restaurants will go to partial capacity and wear masks till seated. Belly up to the bar will have no seating.

Schools are arguing on a mask mandate that I think will pass

Looks like China might be getting Delta.

I don’t know, did we ever decide for sure whether China dodged Covid? If so then it’s a whole new giant population-- ready to get sick, die, and mutate the virus.