Have we rounded the corner for the final time?

I mean, NYC area went all out to prevent hospital overruns and that ended up being a catastrophic decision…

1 Like

And I don’t think the comparisons are bad ones to make. People are often incoherent about their risk tolerance. They’re young, healthy and terrified of COVID but would happily take other risks they’re more familiar with.

1 Like

1 Like

2.5 months is a short time based on how time progressed during COVID…I recalled the events were a bit closer together, more that Bidens comments came much later, but stand corrected!

I do recall having mixed thoughts at the time - at that point most of the elderly were vaccinated and need to protect people the vulnerable was declining. I am kind of at the same place now with Delta - there are still vulnerable out there that can’t be vaccinated but understand the CDC’s priority is public health regardless of the choice of idiots filling up ICUs due to their own choices.

Compare and contrast is fine. Compare without contrast serves only to minimize the worst of the two.

1 Like

This is certainly not a “given.” If it seems like I’m “downplaying the risk of Covid” it’s probably just because you’ve been inundated with so much negative coverage

which leads to outcomes like this:

where significant numbers of people - on both sides of the political aisle - grossly overestimate the risk, not to mention people in general having little conception of the huge heterogeneity of risk stratified by age & health conditions. For older people or those with severe comorbidities, this disease is absolutely a large risk that should be taken very seriously. For young, healthy people, it is not statistically different from flu. For those under 18 it is very comparable to flu (stats support it being less deadly even with a vaccine for flu & none available (yet) for Covid for those under 12).

I don’t complain about “any” measures taken to reduce Covid risk. I complain about unsupported measures being mandated by the government. I complain about a one-size-fits-all approach that is not in line with the actual risks being faced by each individual. I complain about lockdowns that do little to reduce risk and more to simply delay it (see Austrailia & NZ), but also disproportionately shift that risk from the ‘Zoom WFH class’ to “essential” workers, who are disproportionately poor & BIPOC.

As I said above, Covid is absolutely a big deal for older or unhealthy people. For a kid like me, it really isn’t.

Vaccines do have issues (we have a whole thread here about side effects). Are they outweighed by the benefits? For many people, absolutely yes. For the vast majority of people: most likely. For the very young & healthy? That’s more of a toss-up. Should they be ignored or swept under the rug? Absolutely not.

Many public health interventions have been wrong (plexiglass boxes on school desks, anyone?). In general, I’d prefer public health agencies to provide unbiased factual information. With this information and speaking to their own physicians about their own individual risk factors, I trust adults to make reasonable, rational decisions, so I’m generally opposed to heavy-handed public health mandates. I’ve been honestly surprised by the number of self-described libertarians who turn out to be closet medical tyrants.

I do get most of my information from the internet. I suspect that’s true of anyone reading these words.

3 Likes

This is interesting bc the surgical masks I see people wearing have major gaps. After much trial and error I finally found some cloth masks that fit me really well. That said, I’m going to start using the filters I bought for my cloth masks. I wasn’t good about that before.

ETA the cloth masks I found that work best for me are not handmade.

Untrue.

Were these local or orderable on the internet and if available on the internet can you give a link?

Please elaborate.

2 Likes

Researchers examined the medical records of 1,407 people seen at a range of University of California outpatient clinics and found that 27% of those patients suffered from shortness of breath, chest pains, coughs or abdominal pain two months after being sick with COVID-19 – and that nearly a third of those patients had no symptoms during their original infection.

Seems a bit like we’re in search of something to be worried about.

" The largest study is in preprint, meaning it is still being peer reviewed. Researchers examined the medical records of 1,407 people seen at a range of University of California outpatient clinics and found that 27% of those patients suffered from shortness of breath, chest pains, coughs or abdominal pain two months after being sick with COVID-19 – and that nearly a third of those patients had no symptoms during their original infection."

How many had shortness of breath before COVID? I’ll be more worried when they can come up with a solid, consistent definition for “long-haul COVID”.

1 Like

That study isn’t specific to kids, either.

Also, this seems relevant to your question, NormalDaniel:

Here’s a comparably-sized study focused exclusively on children with a control group of seronegative kids: https://www.medrxiv.org/content/10.1101/2021.05.16.21257255v1

(bold added; italics in original)

1 Like

Why would it be? You said you didn’t care about Covid because you incorrectly think it’s of no risk to you.

Or are you pretending to be a child for the purpose of this discussion, actually, that may explain a lot.

1 Like

You’re relying on absolutes to stay valid. COVID is as risky to a healthy, vaccinated 30 year old as what? Being struck by lightning?

1 Like

Dan, this is what I’m responding to. Marcie is claiming Covid isn’t something worth worrying about if you’re young and healthy.

There is ample evidence that’s untrue.

1 Like

We’re all still waiting to see it.

If Marcie’s vaccinated she’s an enormous hypocrite given all of her anti vax posts.

1 Like

I’m constantly worrying about being stuck by lightning.

1 Like

How many more dead bodies will be sufficient for your purpose?

1 Like