Happy Thoughts

“Niche Site” — you are selling alien abduction insurance, aren’t you?

1 Like

Taking a 20 minute nap!!!

BDSM insurance?

I’m pulling consumers away from a really bad type of insurance and getting them to buy another, better type.
I paid $10K for the domain a year or two ago. People called me crazy!

1 Like

It’s almost time for the reveal in the first GoActuary Sheep Game! :popcorn:

Hurry up and enter, if you haven’t already - it takes less than 5 minutes, and the fun just increases with more people playing! :+1:

Click here to play: GoA Sheep Game

2 Likes

Lol, it’s insurance so it’s not nearly that interesting.
The domain name I bagged though, it’s the third one in the last 20 years that I’d give myself a high 5 for. Actuary.ca being the first.

A couple times a year I take a look at ownership and expiry of domains, just randomly seeing who owns what and if anything’s going on. So I do this tour some years ago, and find a domain that’s reserved at the internet registry level. Except there’s no way it’s reserved. I know the domain ‘example.com’ is reserved as are some city and town names, but there’s no way this domain should be reserved, it’s a product name.

So I do some digging. In the olden days, you couldn’t easily register a .ca. You had to register the province you were in, like actuary.on.ca and actuary.bc.ca, actuary.sk.ca and so on. Then they switched and allowed anyone to register a .ca. So now they had one person owning actuary.on.ca and another person owning actuary.bc.ca, so who gets to buy actuary.ca? What they did was place a reserve on actuary.ca and then said that you have to own all the provincial variations - once you owned them all, they would let you trade them in for the .ca. So I sleuth all this out to figure out that the domain I was looking at, people must own some of the provincial variations. I check all the variations. Only one is registered. And they’re not using it, it’s parked. Some guy working at a bank somewhere is sitting on (productname).(province).ca. Probably had no idea he could turn it into the.ca.

So I offered him $2K. Nope. Same thing a couple years later. Nope. Couple years later I offer him $4k. Nope. About two years ago I offer him $10K and he takes it. I register it, request the transfer to .ca, and now I own (productname).ca. Nice.

Then I sat on it for a couple years not really able to justify to my SO why I spent $10K on a domain name. Now though, it’s looking like it’s going to be pivotal in my work.

And writing this out makes me want to see if I can get a list of .ca domains that are reserved, see if there’s any more hidden gems. Hmmmmm.

1 Like

terminsurance.ca?

Holy ¢®@þ…that reminds me…

No, but about that level.

Went to the band-aid box on top of the fridge to get a band-aid. Found homemade chocolate chip cookies (and a band-aid)!

3 Likes

Hey now

Mmk so actuarial domain pokemon :popcorn:… or tetris?

:popcorn:

I prefer not to leave footprints all over the place. But imagine someone looking for insurance to cover their mortgage. They’ probably search on two keywords. That’s my .ca domain.

I tried covertheir.ca and came up with nothing.

I tried mortgageprotection but I don’t think that was it

In the US I think people generally think of PMI, which they are forced to carry when LTV is too high and the beneficiary is the mortgagor, not the home owner.

Looking for “cover their” is for suckers.

That’s the nasty stuff.im hopefully getting people to switch to term instead of creditor protection for their mortgage.

I’m going to have to switch to the annoyed thoughts thread. the second sale just came through. Everything supposed to be automatic, intregration into the insurance company’s systems, generate all the documents, send for e-signature, the whole thing. I just sit at the bottom and collect money like mcscrooge duck. Except none of that worked…again. No signatures, no injection into the life company. So this afternoon I’m building all those documents out manually. And my systems are NOT set up to do this manually.
Eh, the good news is, it’s working. I met with my internet marketing mentor yesterday and he told me that 70% of the startups in the business incubator that I’m at never make even their first sale. So the fact that we’re even where we are is pretty cool.

5 Likes

My BIL just gave me 2lbs of weed. I guess that’s happy thoughts? I don’t smoke week.My kids are pretty hapy though.

added: should be "I don’t smoke weed’. Apparently I have spongebob as my autocorrect on mobile.

Not sure if you meant “I don’t normally smoke during the work week.” due to spelling errors.

3 Likes