Guiliani positive for COVID?

Am I misremembering? Wasn’t he kind of a fascist as mayor? Like, he made it hard for the food trucks by adding a lot of paperwork, and tried to push them out of the busy spots?

Perhaps… I was only commenting on 9/11 itself and the short-term aftermath, not his entire mayorship.

I spent the summer of 1996 in New York and he seemed reasonably popular at the time. But I wasn’t really there long enough to know all the whys & wherefores & issues and such.

Isnt this an ongoing thing with food trucks? Im not sure this is unique to Giuliani. I know that this food truck I used to follow was always complaining about being given a hard time in recent years.

I was pretty apolitical back then so I dont really know, but I do get the impression that giuliani was somewhat popular in ny back when he was mayor. Also guessing a typical New Yorker hates him now. He has become a joke.

Yeah I was a kid then but I know my parents who lived in NY at the time have a very strong positive recollection of him being mayor because “he got rid of the squeegee guys. And you should have seen NYC before he was mayor, so much crime. He really brought the crime down.” They’re not super open to the idea that the data really refutes the notion he had some big influence.

I lived in NYC t the time and had mixed feelings about Giuliani. He did make a big push to removed the squeegee guys. Dinkins may have started that, but there wasn’t much progress until Giuliani. There was certainly a big push to remove food carts from a lot of areas, and he also set the police on the guys who sold fake watches on blankets on the side of the street.

The tradeoff is that there were a lot more complaints about police brutality under Giuliani, iirc. But it’s a long time ago, so maybe my memory isn’t great. But what I remember is him cracking down on things and people that weren’t “tidy” and there being some pushback to that.

I just want my 64 oz super-sized soda back.

You will take your balanced budget and you will like it, small soda and all! :judge:

Not to belabor the point about squeegee guys::

“But these guys were seen as another sign that the social order had broken down in New York. Right-wing institutions like the Manhattan Institute said they were a ‘symbol of disorder’ that encouraged crime, along with graffiti and turnstile-jumping and broken windows. So Giuliani made a big part of his 1993 campaign a promise to clear the squeegee-men off the streets. In fact by the time he took office in 1994, almost all of them had been cleared off the streets, by the police department. But nonetheless he got credit for this.”"

i’m cool with stripping Giuliani of credit for this. He seems like a completely awful and somewhat insane human being right now, so I wouldn’t be surprised if he got credit for things he didn’t actually accomplish.